Needed: 64 valiant dog dish hubcap expert

-

64slant

docbob
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Restoring a 64 V100 Valiant and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the dog dish hubcaps on these cars were painted or plain. The paint I'm referring to is red blue and black in the center and the indentations. I have seen them for sale as new old stock or never installed both ways and have seen photos of restored cars with painted caps and survivors that were unpainted. The caps that came on this car appear to have been unpainted (unless the paint just wore off over time). Anybody know anything about em?
Thanks
Bob
20191123_152211[1].jpg

The 64 Valiant my Grandma bought new had nice bright red, blue and black trim but about three years later they were plain silver. Apparently the paint didn't hold up on a car that sat outdoors all it's life

All I've seen are clean. Probably the matte paint they used just came off.

All I've seen are clean. Probably the matte paint they used just came off.
Thanks guys
Your answers confirmed my suspicions that they were all painted and I've decided to polish and paint them up. So looks like a lot of masking and air brush work ahead for me. I think it would be interesting to know how whoever made the caps did it and what they used for color, maybe some kind of ink and a silkscreen process ? Anyway thanks for the help.

probably silkscreen as the edges were sharp and the 'paint' was very thin. Same as the paint on the rear Barracuda Deck trim. The dogs polish up pretty good. I had a mint set that I gave away with the rims :-(
What year were they stock? The 64 brochures all showed a full wheel cover with a black center.

Dog dishes came on my Grandma's 64. She traded her 48 Ford for a new Valiant on the dealers lot. It was a really plane jane 4 door car. 225 slant, 3 spd, no power anything, AM radio. I think they came on the base models.

-
Back