Neep help with Rear Drums A.S.A.P Please

-

67limecrazy

Reaction score
I got a 8 1/4" rear from someone and I called him and he said that the same came out of a 1973 Dodge Dart. Now I have Purchased the brakes for the same and found that the drums hit the backplate before they touch the axel. The brakes shoes I bought are 10" x 2 1/2" and the drums are 10". Also the shoes dont fit they are too wide. It seems that they need to be narrower. Someone said that I might have gotten the same with the back plate from a 7 1/4". If this is true what should I do? Should I get the Back plate to a 2 1/2" and if I do will there be a problem with the axel? If I keep the 7 1/2 Quote on quote what brake shoes and drum should I use? (From What car) This hole thing is driving me crazy.

Are they small bolt pattern or large?

I just read this on another site:

"All Mopar rear drum brakes interchange to all axle housings, so long as these rules are followed: (1) small bolt pattern drums go on small bolt pattern axles (i.e. 10x1.75" drums can only be used with 5x4" bolt pattern axles), (2) large bolt pattern drums go on large bolt pattern axles, (i.e. any 10" or 11" drum that came on a 5x4.5" bolt pattern axle can be used with a 5x4.5" bolt pattern axle), (3) brake assemblies are swapped as full assemblies (this means a 10x1.75" drum is used with a 10x1.75" brake backing plate, and 10x2.5" drum is used with a 10x2.5" brake backing plate).

Does this help?
Jerry

Well guys it turns that I had the back plates to a 85 jeep cherokee so I was able to get the drums, shoes 10" x 1.75" and the Hardware and it all fit perfect. Thanks

-
Back