Neutral safety question

-

Hadahemi

Reaction score
Took out of my car a 72 smallblock 727 and installed a 78 bigblock lockup style 727...and the neutral safety swiches are different. Can I swap them? Anything different about them except the connector? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

They both have 3 pins, but the plastic "shroud" that sticks out around the pins is different, so the connector on the car just wont push on because of that.

Ma Mopar did some crazy things. One thing was they used several different slides on the "rooster comb" that contacts the neutral switch so you have to have the correct neutral switch that mates to the "rooster comb". Not sure on the year splits so all I can say is try installing the 72 switch and use a multi meter to test it. The middle pin is for the neutral safety and all you do to test it is to hook one lead of the meter to ground and the other to the middle pin and shift it through the gears. You should have continuity in park and neutral but no other gears. The outer pins are for the reverse lights and to test them you hook one lead to one outer pin and the other lead to the other outer pin and shift through the gears. You should have continuity in reverse only.

I had a similar issue. The harnass was half toast and I also had trans years difference like yourself. I just snipped off the end, took note of where the wires went and used some radio shack connectors. They were round in style, actualy designed to fit into one another, a male and female connector. I just used the female ends. Shoved them on and haven't had a problem since then. The fit was a little tight with there use. I suggest some good tape around them to help keep them in order. Not so much retained.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll find out whats going on today and let you know how it went.

-
Back