neutral safety switch problem

-

71and done

Reaction score
I am having problems with my car starting in gear and don't seem to know how to figure it out. The car has a toggle switch to engage the starter, also the ignition is on a toggle switch, the car has the statrer relay, a new Neutral safety switch on the trasmission(3pins). The car has original on the column.I installed a scs Cheetah shifter. I ran one wire from the center pin on the neutral safety switch to the starter relay ground. Is this correct? My next question is do I need power to the out side pins or do I splice into the slenoid wire to thd starter? Or do I need to do something else? I'm am idiot when it comes to wining.Any help would appreciated.:banghead:

Nope sounds like you got it wired right. I had the same issue with my SCS Cheetah shifter and I needed to adjust the shifter cable. I thought I had it right but after I adjusted it again I finally got it right. Check that and see what happens.

The outer 2 pins are for reverse lights.

The quick way to check your wiring, is to simply disconnect the neutral safety switch AT THE TRANSMISSION and see if the car still cranks.

SOUNDS like you have the starter button run from battery or low side of toggle -- to push button -- from button to one push on connector at start relay, -- other push on at start relay down to neutral safety.

I agree -- what's wrong that you cannot fix the factory wiring?

I guess I miss stated"you have it wired right" I meant the center prong wire to the ground on your starter relay is right. Get ride of all that other wiring and go back to stock. Also the only ground wire that is coming off the "G" on the relay is going to the center prong. I had another wire from the relay "G"to the firewall and this was messing it up. I removed the firewall wire and it worked half the time so I had to re-adjust the shifter cable.

-
Back