Neutral safety switch wiring??

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
I'll post this here, even though it could be considered an electrical issue.
My son Aaron was given a wiring harness for his '74 Duster to replace fried, frayed, or missing wires. Unfortunately, the replacement harness has one problem we need help with.

The segment of the harness that goes to the transmission neutral safety switch has the plug on the end cut off and missing. I retrieved the terminal from the Dodge van we pulled his engine and 727 transmission out of, but its wires are different colors than the Duster harness. Can someone tell us the correct wire color orientation on the terminals of a plug for this '74 Duster?

Thanks,
Jerry

Unless Mopar did it differently, polarity shouldn't matter on a neutral safety switch. I believe it's just a SPST (single pole, single throw) unit. Then again, I've been wrong before.

Even so, there are three wires. Doesn't it matter which ones go where on the plug?

Jerry

the center plug on the NSS is for ground for the switch..the two other plugs on the switch are for the back up lights...so it does not matter which way the plugs goes...

the 2 outers are for the back up lights. they can go either way. the center is for the neutral safety. just match up center to center.

MIA...
I have one from the van that donated the 727, but the colors are different.

with the car in on position, put it in reverse. now put a test light on each of the 3 wires. the ones that light up are the b/u lites.

I guess that makes sense, but it will be a while before I can do that.
No battery, and steering wheel is not installed.
icon12.gif

Thanks for the help,
Jerry

-
Back