neutral safety switch

-

crooked1/2dozen

Reaction score
Hi:

So I've just got my Chrysler electronic ignition installed....but that's not what this post is about. Took a while to finally get spark, and while messing around with trying different things, the starter started to act up, as in it would only turn over "randomly" on the key , sometimes yes, other times nothing. I bypassed the solenoid with jumpers, starter worked, then hotwired the brown solenoid wire to ground after seeing 12V at the yellow solenoid wire. Seems to work now, so it looks like a bad safety switch. So....after all that, I could have just asked, is the switch servicable, or is it time for a new one, are they available @ NAPA (or Canadian Tire!)? I haven't chased the wire to see where it goes, I imagine on the transmission?

TIA

Dan

Good diagnostic work. Yes, you need a Neutral Safety Switch. You don't mention what year and model your car is. The switch is screwed into the driver's side of the transmission, just above the trans pan, near the front. It's different for '60-'64, '65-'68, and '69-up. Only the latter ('69-up) switch is easily available locally; the others are harder to scrounge up. No repair is possible, service is by replacement.

Sorry about the lack of car data. Car is a '64 Valiant, 225 auto.

Guess I'll have to look make sure the connections are good etc., hopefully it's something simple, the car has sat for most of the last 20 years.

Thanks for your advice.

Dan

The instructions that come with the mopar performance electronic ignition add-on package does state attach to the yellow wire to the starter relay.
That is fine for anything with the ignition switch in the column. That wiring harness has a large yellow wire through the ignition switch and does carry enough current to operate the ignition and relay. the earlier models with ignition switch in the dash does not have the same gauge wire through the switch.
I speculating for sure but since the problem began with the addition of electronic ignition you may not have enough current on the relay signal circuit to operate the relay.
There is a different wire to use in your car too. i think its brown, Hot in start position and on one side of the ballast resistor.
It might be worth the effort to disconnect the ignition from that yellow wire and test the start relay to operate properly.

Redfish:

The system I installed was scavenged from I believe a late '70s D100. It wasn't a factory conversion kit. I hooked it up to the existing ballast wires. The fact that I could short the brown solenoid wire to ground and get the starter to work on the key suggests a bad safety switch to me. We've had cold crappy wet weather here, so I haven't been able to crawl 'neath the car to check the switch out yet.

Thanks for your reply.

Dan

-
Back