Neutral Safety Switch

-

carfreak6970

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am going to be as descriptive as possible about my problem.

I have a 68 Dart and notice a problem of pressing the gas and the car not moving forward as it normally should. So I get it back to my apartment and notice it is a quart and a half low! (Didn't notice the fluid on the floor due to the dirty piece of cardboard laying on the floor underneath it)

I get under the car and ATF is everywhere!! So I clean it up and top off the fluid. I started it and let it run for 20 minutes, shut it off and walked away for two days. The areas that looked the most wet was the rear trans mount (I don't have the facilities to address that issue, so I'll touch on that once I change the trans filter) and the neutral start switch. So I take it out and notice the seal is chewed to all hell (used the original switch when I rebuilt the trans 16,000 miles ago)

This car has the single prong switch but the only switch I can find is the three prong. So I got that switch and the connector for it. Now I spliced the one outside prong to my harness and I splice another wire to the opposite outside prong and grounded it to the transmission. At this point I tested it out and notice it will only crank over if it is in reverse or drive (not good) but won't crank over in park or neutral. So I un- grounded the switch and then tested again and found it to not crank in any gear. So thinking the pin length is different I take out the new switch and measure it. I find that not only is the pin longer but the body on the wetted side is longer too!!

(I tried uploading photo of my measurement, first time trying, sorry)

Now how can I fix this problem? Could I shave down the body of the new one to match the old one? Find a new single prong switch? Does anyone know where I could get a single prong switch? Has anyone run into this problem before?

Thank you for all your help

What year did you buy the new switch for? If I'm not mistaken you need to buy it for a 69 or 70 model because later on (not sure exactly what year) they changed the length of it.

And lets address the wiring.

The middle pin on the newer switch is for starting. The outer pins are for the reverse lights and that's why it would only start in reverse the way you had it wired up. All you have to do is run the wire (brown wire if I remember right) coming from the starter relay to the center pin on the newer switch.

center wire is the neutral safety switch...and it goes to the starter relay switch G terminal...and as said...get one that is the same length..

What year did you buy the new switch for? If I'm not mistaken you need to buy it for a 69 or 70 model because later on (not sure exactly what year) they changed the length of it.

And lets address the wiring.

The middle pin on the newer switch is for starting. The outer pins are for the reverse lights and that's why it would only start in reverse the way you had it wired up. All you have to do is run the wire (brown wire if I remember right) coming from the starter relay to the center pin on the newer switch.

Okay thank you for this, I will try and address that wiring issue tonight.

And the year range that the parts store claims this switch is for is 69-72

Thank you for your help. I got a Mopar switch in yesterday and wired it up as everyone suggested and works perfectly!! Now the weather just needs to stay nice so I can put some miles on it!

I need a single wire neutral safety switch for a 64 Dodge Dart automatic/slant6 but can't find one. Mine is leaking like crazy too.

Does anyone know if anyone is still selling these parts?

-kto

-
Back