Neutral safety switch

-

dodgegtdart68

Reaction score
I have a 68 Dart , original 318 is gone. Has a 1975 360 in it and not sure what transmission. Here's a pic of the pan on transmission. I'm told the neutral safety switch is just above the pan on driver's side. A 3 prong plug but all I have is what looks like a temp gauge with a threaded end. It was a column shift n I moved it to the floor. It will start in neutral but not park.

20210810_032647.jpg

The one you have is correct for your year. That the later models used a three wire connector that was for the neural safety switch and back up lights. Your transmission is a 904.

In 1968 the neutral safety switch was the single pin switch located above the transmission pan. The reverse light switch on a column auto car was located at the base of the column next to the fire wall.
The 1969 auto cars were the first to use the new 3 pin switch that was located in the transmission above the pan.
It combined the reverse and the neutral safety switches into one unit.

Reverse lamp switch moved from inside to outside in middle of 1968. I'll assume you have reverse lamp switch on the shifter but... You didn't say what floor shifter you installed. If the OEM floor shifter linkage isn't all the right pieces and/or adjusted just right the opening in the console wont let the shifter go into park far enough to get start. Get that adjustment correct and shifter may hit console before you get fully into low. I surely didn't want to miss park and have a roll away so I forfeited some of how well I get low to ensure park paw engagement. I never use low anyway. I've read that there is a slight difference in length of the first little linkage levers on the trans.

I’m trying to remember but I believe there is something referred to as a rooster tail that pushes the detent ball on safety switch
If car starts in neutral but not park the problem might not be the switch but the rooster tail
It has a series of tits or points on it so it’s either broke worn down or a adjustment
I got a replacement for my 727 from A&A transmission

I’m trying to remember but I believe there is something referred to as a rooster tail that pushes the detent ball on safety switch
If car starts in neutral but not park the problem might not be the switch but the rooster tail
It has a series of tits or points on it so it’s either broke worn down or a adjustment
I got a replacement for my 727 from A&A transmission
Rooster comb is what I call it. But yes you can look from the bottom with the pan off and see what it is doing when it is in park.

Rooster comb is what I call it. But yes you can look from the bottom with the pan off and see what it is doing when it is in park.
Thanks Roy, Rooster tail LOL. Im slowly loosing it a little more everyday.
I had the exact problem the OP had and that's what it was. Of course I dont have that problem as I tossed the 727 and put a 4 speed in.... I wanted to relive my younger days, although my left knee isn't happy

The one you have is correct for your year. That the later models used a three wire connector that was for the neural safety switch and back up lights. Your transmission is a 904.

I got it to start , an adjustment underneath. Now I just need to figure out how to mount my backup light switch

In 1968 the neutral safety switch was the single pin switch located above the transmission pan. The reverse light switch on a column auto car was located at the base of the column next to the fire wall.
The 1969 auto cars were the first to use the new 3 pin switch that was located in the transmission above the pan.
It combined the reverse and the neutral safety switches into one unit.
Hey thank u for sharing your knowledge. Now I just need to figure out how to mount the reverse lite switch.

Reverse lamp switch moved from inside to outside in middle of 1968. I'll assume you have reverse lamp switch on the shifter but... You didn't say what floor shifter you installed. If the OEM floor shifter linkage isn't all the right pieces and/or adjusted just right the opening in the console wont let the shifter go into park far enough to get start. Get that adjustment correct and shifter may hit console before you get fully into low. I surely didn't want to miss park and have a roll away so I forfeited some of how well I get low to ensure park paw engagement. I never use low anyway. I've read that there is a slight difference in length of the first little linkage levers on the trans.

It's a factory floor mount , I got it to start with a simple adjustment. Now I need to figure out how to mount the reverse light switch.

I have 1967 Barracuda with auto trans. There is a wire attached to a single pole switch above trans pan on left rear of transmission. What is the propose of this switch and what is it connected to. My car is apart and end of wire coming out between fire wall and rear of motor was cut off by mistake. Help please

The single pin switch on your 1967 auto transmission is the Neutral Safety Switch. The wire that attaches to it is brown in color and the other end of that wire attaches to the "G" terminal on the starter relay.
When you are in park or neutral the switch "grounds" the one side of the starter relay.

Like 694spd said that's your neutral safety switch (NSS). If your car is apart I highly suggest factory manuals. Free downloads at mymopar.com, just make sure they are factory.
Also I have pdf copies of the factory supplement that wasnt included in the Plymouth factory service manual send me a msg with your email and I can email to you.
I have 1967 Barracuda with auto trans. There is a wire attached to a single pole switch above trans pan on left rear of transmission. What is the propose of this switch and what is it connected to. My car is apart and end of wire coming out between fire wall and rear of motor was cut off by mistake. Help please

-
Back