neutral safty switch?

-

1970PAValiant

master of the break down
Reaction score
just realized tonight I don't have any backup lights. this past weekend I put in a new neutral safty switch, if I put the boot on backwards would they not light up? just wanted to know before I start to poke around this weekend

Hi, What due you mean boot? if you are refering to you lamp connector yes this will make you back up lamps not work, Back up wire color code should be black with a tan tracer this is your back up lamp wire, wire to your back up sockets in the trunk should be violet and the housing is the ground.. check power to that wire with a test lamp.. if there is no power check power from the switch ... Not sure but i think that on of the end terminals of the switch is you back up lamp signal... Good luck and let me know if i could be of more help... Thanks Ricardosdemon72

Since the 2 outer pins on the switch are for the back up lamps it makes no difference which way you install the connector. All the switch does is essentially make the connection of the 2 outer wires.

alrighty, will do, some guy at work said I should just put a jumper between the 2 wires and see if my lights turn on when I put the key in. apparently if they do I need another new switch ( I do think this one might be bad because I stil have to sometimes put it in neutral to start it)

alrighty, will do, some guy at work said I should just put a jumper between the 2 wires and see if my lights turn on when I put the key in. apparently if they do I need another new switch ( I do think this one might be bad because I stil have to sometimes put it in neutral to start it)

Jumping the wires is a good way to test it. Does your shift linkage have an adjustment? It sounds like the linkage is a little out of adjustment as you shouldn't have to put it in neutral to get it to start. It should start in park just the same as neutral. Since it starts in neutral that means the neutral section of the switch is working. Must be something mechanical not activating it in park.

You can pull the connector off the switch and use a cotter pin to jumper the 2 wires. That will prove the cars wiring to the fixtures/bulbs are good or not.

yes I did have them before the switch, apparently the switch I got from advanced auto is made poorly and do not let the lights come on. I bought one from work (I work at a chrysler dealership now) and I'll see if that'll work

Wow talk about a coincidence. I just put a brand new switch in a buddy's Challenger today and it's defective. Same exact problem too. No reverse lights. I took it back out and bench tested it and found it shows continuity on the bench but as soon as you just barely touch the middle pin (that's what activates the reverse lights) it shuts off. It's way over sensitive. I tried shimming the switch but there was no way to get it to operate the reverse lights and the neutral start section work. Going back to NAPA tomorrow for another to try again. UGH!

-
Back