Never pulled a 6.

-

vallianted

Reaction score
Hey all.pulled a few 8's over the years but out of all the slant 6 cars I've owned(70 duster,74 dart,74 scamp,66 baracuda and a 80 pickup) and now our 65 Valliant I've never pulled one.where's the best place to hook on so it comes out straight?
Ted

From the cylinder head. There are 2 bosses, one near intake #3 and one near intake #5. Use both bosses at the same time. Have fun! Hope you are refreshening/rebuilding or hopping it up!

The front boss is to lift the engine only on a level. The rear boss is to lift the engine/transmission on a level.

Spend a couple of dollars at Harbor Freight and get a "load leveler." When I pulled my /6s it really made the job go really smooth.
image_8058.jpg

^^ this makes your lift limited, make sure you plan ahead and factor in the height you'll need with that leveler attached. BTDT ^^

Pull it from the back head boss and the entire engine/trans will come out balanced as stated. Its not hard to hoist it, but it is kinda hard getting it over the rad support while the trans tail is still caught up in the tunnel. Pull rad a must. You also need a butt plug in the trans tail or you'll dump a gallon of ATF/90W on the floor. The slant is a LONG motor, a V8 is easier to pull.

if working alone

its easier to take off the trans/bellhousing first
rest the motor on the steering cross member.
then with hood off and rad out its a direct upwards pull, to above the mounts twist it slightly across diagonal of engine bay and swing it out over the front, lower the car back to the wheels if space for the crane above, is limited

i gave up with the bosses and mounting points and chains and used slings rignt under the motor on either side of the sump bowl....1/2 tonne slings, it aint going nowhere, wide webbing doesn't crush or scratch, so if it heals over a bit no damage done.

bolt engine stand on and lower the lot to the floor.

Dave

Spend a couple of dollars at Harbor Freight and get a "load leveler." When I pulled my /6s it really made the job go really smooth.
View attachment 1716049099

When I used one of these, I took off the lower chains and added just a couple of links that I bolted to the bosses mentioned in post #2. That cut down a bunch on lost lifting capacity due to the extra height of the leveler.

-
Back