Never seen a propane spreadbore carb before

-

Kernel Sanders

eating chicken wings and drinking beer
Reaction score
First for me, though never really looked before. looks interesting but cant find anything on this particular carb.

(Not mine and dont know the seller)

Mopar propane 4 barrel carb - price reduced | Engine & Engine Parts | Norfolk County | Kijiji

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Could that be something they used at the Factory to fire up engines from the assembly line so they wouldn't have to use gasoline?

There were a few trucks that came factory propane. I believe 83-86. There was also a few cop cars up here that were on propane. They were always freezing up in the winter. Kim

I suppose that's one way to avoid running cr@ppy gas... Just try to find a jet kit for it, though. :)

Industrial- Forklifts, generators, Town trucks. Limited market.
They run REALLY clean. 100 k on a set of plugs compared to 30-40 k on gasoline engine.

The trams at world's of fun in Kansas City were propane powered slant sixes. I doubt they ran spread bore, but other applications did. Generators, maybe.

I saw a setup on a late 70's c- body big block. Could have been an ex cop car. Very clean looking install, could have been factory.

There's LOTS of LPG on vehicles "in public." Various fleets use them. When I first got started in HVAC in the 80's the tiny outfit I worked for had 3 service trucks that were dual fuel, gasoline and LPG One of them I drove was a 318 Dodge van

Looking at it, the piece posted above definitely looks like an aftermarket unit. My grandpa had an international harvester pickup that he added propane to in the late '80's, and it was similar.

-
Back