Nevermind, lets just do it all the same way.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Badart-Don't let anyone get you down on your parts. At least you are out there doing something to make a difference in the A-body world. I wish I had half had the talent and knowledge that you have displayed in the engineering of all the parts you've shown. I appreciate that you are willing to share your parts lists, suppliers, and reasonings for the way you have everything done. This, along with the other parts you have displayed look like exceptional products that can help anyone in this hobby. Thank you for sharing with us, and I look forward to seeing what you will come up with next.

That's a good question, but you have to admit that this will eliminate most of it. You are removing 10 degrees of angle from the tie rod setup. .

Something I found when I was checking out with a plumbob and marking the angles as I turned the suspension through its motion was the pitman and idler also move the linkage up and down and when the wheel is turned the linkage will straighten out and become level ,which actually will give about 3/4 " more turn to the steering arm according to what I measured, you can really see the angle of the heim in the picture when the wheel is straight .
Is it possible if they start out level you could loose some turning radious, don't know for sure ,but just something you might want to check.

For what it's worth...the factory tie-rod ends are loaded in single shear and they do fine. I don't know how the hardness/brittleness of the grade-8 bolt rates to the tie-rod ends, but anyway...

The only issue I have with people like the OP that make a large majority of this stuff is that often times, they're fixing something that doesn't really need fixing (if it ain't broke...). How is the old saying? When you have a hammer, everything's a nail? I think that the OP has some great fab skills, and I too fabricate things for fun and also for a living. He's also better at it than I am and that's what frustrates me is that in my opinion, he's not fully applying himself.

My opinion (and I'm far from versed on the OP's work) is that some (not all) of what he makes isn't really needed. When I was fixing bikes I had to tell people regularly, "Just because someone makes it for what you own, does not mean that you need to buy and install it." People have money to spend and want to "improve" their ride. No shame in that, but again: if it isn't broke...and some of that stuff can really degrade your prized car/bike/buggy/whatever. I think that's going a little far here (unless someone makes brake rotor covers with LED's in them for Darts), but facts is what facts is, and MY car is essentially factory (Chrysler big brakes, poly bushings, and reinforced LCA's) and I don't have the issue that these address. No Mopar I've ever owned, stock or otherwise, has had a bump steer issue unless something was "wrong" like a bent LCA or worn out bushings. I've never heard of any Mopar having this issue unless it was tweaked in some way.

Put another way, if Mopars had bump-steer issues (when assembled correctly, not wrecked, etc) I wouldn't drive 'em in the first place.

Badart, I think you have the skills (and I don't use that term lightly) but I see you making stuff that other people have already done (coilover conversions, tie-rods, inner fender supports, etc) and I don't think the Mopar world needed that stuff when someone else made it either. A lot of this is fixing a problem that does not exist.

It's my opinion that a person of your skillset is going about it the wrong way. Ask yourself what the problems are, and what really needs to be addressed? I see a lot of your work mentions header clearance (These rods, the coilover conversion, etc). Make a better header, don't re-engineer the entire front-end to solve ONE problem part!

It's a challenge to convey context via text-only, so I hope that you're taking what I say, what little it's worth, as a compliment. You've got the skills and the tools, I just think your direction is off a little and when you find that, you'll know it. Is there much demand for drop-in turbo headers? I know I'd buy a set in a heartbeat because I simply don't have time to make them. How about stainless radiator hoses with bleed nipples instead of that cheesy rubber crap? How about a fully adjustable throttle cable mount that fits ANY carb or throttle body and intake so I don't have to compromise my stock cable just to make it work? That's the stuff that *I* need and would gladly pay for.

Just my opinion. Carry on.

Well I think you are wrong about bump steer, If what you said is true than why did Mopar dedicate a section in the chassis manual on bump steer and how to correct it. If you don't like what you see don't look there are plenty of pep's here that are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back