New 14" Cragar SS Wheels with 4 X 5 bolt pattern

-

azaustin

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The Cragar web site shows a 14" SS model in a 6" wide rim with a 4.0" x 5 bolt pattern. I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't find the exact answer to my questions, so I'll go ahead and post them. I have two '65 Darts, a coupe and a convertible, that I want to build as Dart GoGo's. Eventually I want to put disc brakes (at least on the front) of both cars, but, for now, would like to be able to put a set of Cragars on my convertible. The 13" wheels aren't available (although I thought I had read that Cragar was bringing them out; they're not on their web site), and I'd like to go to 14's anyway. So -

1. Has anyone used these wheels? If so, did you use the 6" wheels or one of the larger width wheels? Does anyone have any recommendations on what offset to use (the 6" is only available in one offset.)

2. Cragar doesn't list any left-hand thread lug nuts, so I'm assuming I'd have to replace the L/H studs with standard R/H

3. Were there any 8.75 rearends that came with the 4.0 x 5 bolt pattern? I might want to go to the larger axle, and it would be nice to be able to use the same wheels.

If anyone has any comments or experience on doing this, I'd appreciate your advice. The Dart GoGo I had in 1966 had polished aluminum centers with chrome rims, but I'm ok with the all-chrome wheel, even though I know it's not technically correct. My goal is to have a pair of nice-looking drivers, not perfect restorations.

Thanks!

I've been running those with a 205/70R14 for about 12 years with no problem. I didn't check backspacing or anything else, Summit said that they would fit and they did. Drum brakes all around on a 68 Barracuda convertible. I did change out the lugs, because the Mag wheels do need that special lug nut and washers, but that keeps you out of trouble with the "12 year olds" at the tire shop anyway.
I have a 7.25 rear end, but I'm pretty sure that the early 8.75's were small bolt pattern. Everybody wants to convert them to 4.5 so the axles, anyway, should be easy to get. Of course, you are still going to pay dearly for the rest of the housing and third member!

The Cragar web site shows a 14" SS model in a 6" wide rim with a 4.0" x 5 bolt pattern. I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't find the exact answer to my questions, so I'll go ahead and post them. I have two '65 Darts, a coupe and a convertible, that I want to build as Dart GoGo's. Eventually I want to put disc brakes (at least on the front) of both cars, but, for now, would like to be able to put a set of Cragars on my convertible. The 13" wheels aren't available (although I thought I had read that Cragar was bringing them out; they're not on their web site), and I'd like to go to 14's anyway. So -

1. Has anyone used these wheels? If so, did you use the 6" wheels or one of the larger width wheels? Does anyone have any recommendations on what offset to use (the 6" is only available in one offset.)

2. Cragar doesn't list any left-hand thread lug nuts, so I'm assuming I'd have to replace the L/H studs with standard R/H

3. Were there any 8.75 rearends that came with the 4.0 x 5 bolt pattern? I might want to go to the larger axle, and it would be nice to be able to use the same wheels.

If anyone has any comments or experience on doing this, I'd appreciate your advice. The Dart GoGo I had in 1966 had polished aluminum centers with chrome rims, but I'm ok with the all-chrome wheel, even though I know it's not technically correct. My goal is to have a pair of nice-looking drivers, not perfect restorations.

Thanks!
I used those Cragars on my 65 Barracuda and they worked fine. I did have to replace the left hand studs. Got the wheels from Summit Racing

Make sure you get the proper lug nuts and washers for those wheels
Thanks for the advice. I thought I would have to go tha way, but I found out that Cragar makes direct drill wheels that don't need the special washers, and I plan to use those. I will have to change the left-hand studs to right-hand, however, to use their conical seat lug nuts.

Talk to the guys at Newstalgia Wheel. I think they even make 15's that will fit your Darts. There are companies that make the correct LH lugnuts for Cragar wheels.

Talk to the guys at Newstalgia Wheel. I think they even make 15's that will fit your Darts. There are companies that make the correct LH lugnuts for Cragar wheels.
Thanks again. I'll check them out. By the way, your check should be showing up anytime.

It did, I'll deposit it and ship after that.
Good news. Don't know why I didn't use a money order. Just haven't done much of this and don't trust PayPal after my info was hacked and things charged to my bank account. The info on Newstalgia Wheel was right on and it was easier to figure out what wheels worked. I'm going to call them when I'm ready to buy and see what they can do for me. Looking forward to getting the wheel and air cleaner base.

-
Back