"new" 1969 Barracuda

-
Wow, this is awesome. Lots of good advice and decisions to make. Thanks all! Its going to be a long and really fun road. So- one more question and I'll let this thread die...

When you all discuss original, and keeping matching numbers and all that, does it "devalue" the car (in that context) to upgrade the suspension, transmission, rear end, brakes and all? I do not plan on selling, but I feel like I have a gem here and want to weigh everything into my decisions. Just wondering what the insider market likes to see...

Thanks again!

I don't think it devalues it at all...You are "upgrading" everything (suspension & brakes)to meet the safety standards of today... An 8 3/4 axle with say a 3:55 sure grip is definitely more desirable then a 7 1/4. Build it how YOU want it, especially if you are keeping it forever...

WOW... with keeping original / de- value ? Q is ?? yors to determine -one woodnt want cut / rod / mod a rare high end car - like a tru #s S 340 P code stick car -or 440 M code - i think you could do any factory upgrade done properly to low end 6 cyl-318 (column shift bench car ?? ) and benifit for yourself re the drive/ ride /safety / comfort - and obviosly re sell price - down the road prayin that wont need ever happen,, - ur decision , my opinions only here ,, as every car has its individual merit - from low end to high , , upgrades never hurt its value as previously stated - remembering they are only original once - heres a tru story that happened 4yrs ago about that "already rare" car -lil bit of a twist -but stay with me on this one -neverthe less - were speaking car changes - - had a fellow/ freind who found a M code 440 69 Dart -- racing outta the calif area - already chopped /race prepped 383 auto with the original 440 long done gone - He bought the car fair cheep and is taking it back to square one = factory original -- will cost a bundle.. but then its warranted / cost wise , being A super rare original GTSS ,,he bought the replacement 69 date coded 440 from me with matching tranny, plus i own a 383 factory 4 spd 69 "CUDA" - so when searching "trim tag" replacement 4 either car as both were missing in action when we bought -- enter G.Govier the "mopar messiah" who sent us info - stating our cars value was only 1-2 K difference - from being stock OE to datecoded -same cubes engine - sooo?? -- heres a thought , - seein as 69 cuda Notch 440 or 383 cars with the 2 single hood scoops -A57 option - red line tires ( disc brakes sway bar) notches are SUPER RARE with few built_-- I have only seen one OE #s match M code notch on ebay in 5 yrs - i wood clone a car like yours to have that one of a kind look presentation / Value replacement - but am thinkun you and i wood both need a mega lotto win to accomplish that == dreamboy yakkin here you awl might say?? - but i never thought wood ever own my H code 69 CUDA 4gear plus the 67 notch "S"= slowbak clone either - point is ??... upgrades cant hurt yor investment from what your starting with - wont tire ya with bein long in the tooth here , much more - will b hopin 2 see you and the car changes & direction you take .. one day-- keep the faith , staying in touch with FABO - is in the blood now .. send me some more piks/ Q if you care 2 - - [email protected] ... ""WELCOME ""cudoz yor way - Ma Mopar has blessed us awl- Cudanutz -

A big x2 to what Mopardude318 said. You'll find most of us on in this board aren't purists ... we build them how we want them to be: individual works of art that are up to today's safety standards without the air bags and computer controls. A 25-cent part won't leave us stranded on the side of the road.

These cars -- and all others -- are worth only what someone will pay you for them. "De-value" is a subjective term. One thing to consider in replacing / upgrading original parts is to keep the old ones in case the person you eventually sell your car to IS a purist. It'll sweeten the deal for them that much more and allow them the option of putting it back the way it was.

Welcome! Nice '69. Build it the way you want it. Numbers matching isn't important when it's a 318 or slant 6 like the others said. Keep the original drive train aside just in case somebody does want it that way if you ever sell it. Most of the guys build performance cars from the non Formula S Barracudas. So you won't hurt the value at all, and actually make it more desirable.

There is a buyer for everything. Some look for untouched / all original. Others look for
" Rotisserie restored to showroom condition".
or " Upgrades include later model large bolt pattern diasc brakes and 8.25 rear ". Then another buyer gets off on aftermarket brand names like Edelbrock, Summit, Flowtech, etc.. the more the better for those .
Bottom line Make what you want of it. If you ever need to sell it, you can.
Having fun with it is the only goal.

Got it- this all makes sense. Thank you all for the great info and advice. I am sure that I have just scratched the surface of the knowledge on here but this has helped me alot- just to start to get a vision of what to do. I will be checking in occasionally with progress...

Thanks again... You guys rock!

-
Back