"new" 1969 Barracuda

-

jim in seattle

Reaction score
Hi-

FNG here, and I just bought a 1969 Barracuda. I have wanted one for about 20 years now and just found this one. It is a 318 automatic. I will read as much as I can on this forum to figure all this stuff out, but I have a few basic questions as I get started...

My mission is to restore it to be a daily driver and keep the stock "look". That said, I plan to do as much to the suspension and power as is reasonable for a driver. So the basic questions that I don't see answers to right off are- and I am looking for generalizations- I know I have months of research ahead of me to get this all figured out! I just want to start out heading down the right path on these :

It has the original engine in it... If I put a 340 in it does this devalue the car? Is the 318 a good engine to "build" or should I just go straight to the 340? What is the weight (handling) difference in the 2 engines..

Transmission- How do I figure out which transmission this is, and what will it take if I increase HP?

Suspension- I want a car that will corner a bit. I know that it is possible to greatly improve the handling over stock... any first comments on this?

Plus I would love to do things like disc brakes and other improvements.

Anyway- total newbie here so keep in mind that I know alot of this info is yet for me to find in there forums- like I said I just kind of want to start down the right paths so as to not waste too much time...

Thanks!

3k73o43p45T55Z25W3a6d26bd6398b34c1dda.jpg

3k33me3o75O05T35X1a6d42885c672f7c1f85.jpg

3n83o53l75O25W15U5a6df4ccd6acbd2217c6.jpg

Just keep the stock parts if you are worried about value.

The weight difference between a 318 and a 340 is insignificant.

For suspension a standard rebuild with quality stock parts, coupled with sway bars, 1" torsion bars, subframe connectors and modern gas shocks will transform the car (the addition of a performance radial in a + size….. 15", 16", 17"……. Will take this even further)

You will a need a factory KH set up (or aftermarket kit) for front discs is you want to stay with small bolt pattern.

Less expensive would be a Large bolt pattern swap off a later a-body for front discs but with this you will also need LBP mods for the rear (unless you want 2 bolt patterns on your car).

welcome Jim! I'm just south of you in Seatac. Unless you find a killer deal on a 340, you might consider a 360. You probably have the 904 tranny. Feel free to PM me if you want to come down for a visit or call and chat about your desired mods. I will be around tomorrow afternoon/evening and probably tonight after work as well.

Welcome to FABO!! Wondered where that car went, been watching it on craigslist, glad to see it found a good home! :)

Just keep the stock parts if you are worried about value.

QUOTE]

Thanks for that...

I am looking to balance the value issue with performance potential. I do not plan to ever sell really- I just do not want to 'ruin' the car if it is a huge issue. It is COMPLETELY stock right now, down to all original glass. That is why I am trying to figure out how much "better" the 340 (or 360) is right off, and then pursue what I decide.

Myself I would pull the original 318 and do a complete rebuild on it but go with a bit taller cam shaft and roller lifters hid out in side. That would be money saved and keep the numbers matching engine in it 8)
Welcome to this great site and I must say that is one great looking Barracuda you snagged up Jim :cheers:
Put your cash in the suspension,disc brakes and rear end :happy10: that you would put in a 340 or 360. Just me 8) I like a 318, they can be built easy to make some extra HP for the street.
I would think the trans is a A904, they can be built strong enough for all kind of uses and keep the Barracuda nice and light.
Congrat's on a great find and jump on in and make your self at home Jim :happy10:

Nice car, love the 69's and it looks to be in very good shape.

IMO, if you are concerned about originality for value, simply do as 1968Formula says and keep the original parts when upgrading. If you plan on swapping the drivetrain, then all of that could certainly be reversed if desired by a future owner.

However, 318 models generally don't command the same value as factory 340, 383, and 440 models of the same year in the same condition. Potential buyers are often looking to either upgrade /6 & 318 models, and if they are already upgraded without butchering, they can often have more interest from prospective buyers.

Ask yourself this, since you want to upgrade it. If the car already had a 340/360, upgraded suspension and possibly rear-end, would you have passed on the deal?

Go for it.

Grant

Welcome to FABO. For value I would keep it original.For fun ,drop a 360 in her and do the suspesion and brake changes.Lots more fun.In the end,it's your car and you do what you want.8)

I would put the 318 on a stand and put a 340 in it, but only if you have a decent rear end in it. Even a rear end swap should be fairly inexpensive. That way the stock, #'s matching stuff is for safe keeping. If and when you ever do sell it, it will gain a lot more interest having the 340 in it and the #'s at home on the stand. Good luck, have fun with it!!

I would put the 318 on a stand and put a 340 in it, but only if you have a decent rear end in it. Even a rear end swap should be fairly inexpensive. That way the stock, #'s matching stuff is for safe keeping. If and when you ever do sell it, it will gain a lot more interest having the 340 in it and the #'s at home on the stand. Good luck, have fun with it!!

Welcome to FABO and Yes what he said!

Welcome aboard from just north of you...

I love those notchbacks...looks like you picked up a really nice one there.

Depending on the power level you want,you could redo the original 318 and get over 300hp and still be streetable.The best part is you already have the motor and have a good idea of the condition.

340s are a nice upgrade,are more period correct and are generally more desirable than 360's.Downside is they're expensive even as a core or as a runner.

360's are more plentiful so they're relatively inexpensive to buy and the extra cubes will give you more bang for your buck.

All three are in the same engine family so most of the parts,except the rotating assemblies,will interchange and the weight is basically the same.

Hope this helps.

Nice Barracuda. Welcome! I agree also.

Welcome aboard Jim! Looks like you're getting sound advice already. Finding that sweet old notch was a great move but you made a better one finding FABO. :-D This site is everything you want and more. Enjoy your stay and make yourself at home!

Hi Jim yorstory has my shades of yesterday -- 4yrs ago had similar situation = what to do ? with my 67 notch - so with suggestions /desire to keep her stock lookin - the -factory 318 was rebuilt 30 over - balanced / blued - newer KB pistons - 1969 340 bumpstik = highest factory hp cam ma mopar offered and good for street performance plus will pass aircare emissions if needed -added modified ( Exh /larger )valved 273-61 approx cc heads (for lower costs than AL heads & with low CC= higher comp) - - clear flowing exhaust system means alot for engine breathing - i used 340 hi flow factory manifold header ported with dual exhaust using - "" for track use " DYNAMAX mufflers- 340 exh tips (need resize)- but i think A/M ones larger are available today ) using 2.5 pipes / edelbrock name shaved off - ALm RPM intake = has similar look as 340-LD hi rise / factory AVS carb ( some guys like the HOLLY =not stock )- pertronic ign ( inside the cap hidden electronics )- all to stay stock lookn on the outside -- running 391 gear with a 15X8 rear tire ( not stock ) this puppy looks way 2tuff - can run with the BIG dawgs /hounds and take out the trash any stock 340 can - others= chubbys'n ferdzponys find out the hard way what FISHCANDO-U really means = outbuild total cost was 2500cdn & am very happy running 318/323 cu sporting 340-S hood inserts and FORM S BADGES on my F8 JADE JEWEL - i do have a good 69-340-2 to build ?? BUT if it aint broke dont fix it - you can easily check your trans by looking from pass side front inside fender - down - past the EXmanifold -header -oil filter -to the ground you will c the "front right corner" of the trans - if it is SQUARE in appearance - without a TAB - it is a 904 - 727 has the tab and were used in 340 combos -- i wood suspect the car has a 904 trans -7-1/4 rear axle -- look from under the backend of car -- if the centre axle housing has a bolted cover = ( 7-1/4) stock -or 8-1/4 if modified --- bolted cover ??= itz not a 8-3/4 = " smooth like a banjo" & no cover -- - send me an email - [email protected] and i can send you a pik ( mine is F8 green )- - dont know how on this site - hope this helps , good luck - cudanutz

Welcome aboard! Looks like you're already getting some good advice. I see that you say that you really don't plan on selling the car. Build it the way you want it then. You've been searching for this car for 20 years? Build it the way you'd be happy with it after such a long search.

Welcome aboard! Looks like you're already getting some good advice. I see that you say that you really don't plan on selling the car. Build it the way you want it then. You've been searching for this car for 20 years? Build it the way you'd be happy with it after such a long search.

X2, Welcome.

Wow, this is awesome. Lots of good advice and decisions to make. Thanks all! Its going to be a long and really fun road. So- one more question and I'll let this thread die...

When you all discuss original, and keeping matching numbers and all that, does it "devalue" the car (in that context) to upgrade the suspension, transmission, rear end, brakes and all? I do not plan on selling, but I feel like I have a gem here and want to weigh everything into my decisions. Just wondering what the insider market likes to see...

Thanks again!

-
Back