New 318 Build

-

isabil22

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a 318 rebuilt to these specs what do you think. thanks Bill

BLOCK IS .030 OVER, CLEANED AND HONED
CASTING DATE 10-5-67
NEW KEITH BLACK PISTONS #KB167-.030
SEALED POWER MOLY RINGS
STOCK CAST CRANK .010/.010
OEM 318 BALANCER
OEM 360 RODS
ROTATING ASSEMBLY BALANCED
NEW SEALED POWER CAM, ROD AND MAIN BEARINGS
NEW SUMMIT .441/.441 LIFT HYD. CAM & LIFTERS #SUM-6901
REDONE 360 HEADS #4027596 WITH HARDENED VALVE SEATS
OEM 360 VALVE SPRINGS WITH 1.88”/1.60” VALVES
STOCK TYPE ROCKER ARM SETUP
NEW BLOCK EXPANSION PLUGS
NEW MELLING HV OIL PUMP AND PICKUP
LATE STYLE FRONT COVER
STEEL TIMING SET

I don't believe a 318 will stand being bored .160 over.

Bill, KB167's for pistons I believe.

I like your build. The late timing cover requires a late neutral balanced damper for the correct timing marks. Summit has some nice one's cheap.

And, you don't need a HV pump for your application. A stock replacement will be just fine as long as the machining is well done.

Here you go:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/uem-kb167-030/overview/make/dodge

"Measure twice (or even three times) cut once."
I've rebuilt quite a few 360's (pretty much the same concept)
What you do not want to do is buy all the parts first only to find out that some of them won't work or fit.

Shoot, funny story... After rebuilding my 6th 360 just recently I did that same mistake.
I thought my new valvetrain parts was good to go. Nope, I ordered wrong valve locks, valve seals and totally forgot the retainers.
Yeah, needless to say I was pissed because I wasted 3 days of my 4 day weekend waiting for parts to assemble the engine that I wanted done that weekend. It didn't happen, I was not a happy camper at that time.

What compression are you shooting for?

Bob

I am building the same engine. If using felpro gaskets with .039 thickness, zero decking the block will put you right at 9:1 compression.

I'm skeptical about OEM springs working ANY aftermarket camshaft. Make sure you get the cam manufacturer's required valve spring pressures and adjust your build accordingly to accommodate.

-
Back