New 340 should I use X or Edelbrocks???

-

swinger340

Reaction score
Just put together another 340 to dump in the Swinger. I sold my last 2. This one is the same foundation. Stock forged crank cut .010/.010, lightened 340 rods w ARP bolts, .030 over TRW 2316s. Balanced. Kevco pan w/ HV oil pump. Ive been back and forth on what heads to put on it and what cam to run. Have a set of fresh X heads w some port work that flowed 245 @ .500 or I have a set of NIB edelbrock open chambered heads. Want it to perform well as a street car 3:55s, air gap and holley 750DP. Open for head and cam options. I own both already. Thinking edelbrocks w a XE282S or X w around a .500 lift cam.

Just put together another 340 to dump in the Swinger. I sold my last 2. This one is the same foundation. Stock forged crank cut .010/.010, lightened 340 rods w ARP bolts, .030 over TRW 2316s. Balanced. Kevco pan w/ HV oil pump. Ive been back and forth on what heads to put on it and what cam to run. Have a set of fresh X heads w some port work that flowed 245 @ .500 or I have a set of NIB edelbrock open chambered heads. Want it to perform well as a street car 3:55s, air gap and holley 750DP. Open for head and cam options. I own both already. Thinking edelbrocks w a XE282S or X w around a .500 lift cam.

I'll jump in..:D. Looks like you can tolerate a pretty stout cam on the street so i'll go, use the X's, this hyd. Lunati and as much initial timing as it can handle.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60404/

What kind of cam roller or flat tappet do you want to run?
That said nothing wrong with a roller and eddy heads, trust me I know :twisted:

Use the Xs.Unless you are road racing,run em.Been here,done that.Eddys,peak at [email protected] head porting shop I worked at,built a similar 340,healthy X's,11.7 comp,solid roller.Ran 11.70s with the Xs,118 traps.Customer wanted Eddys,worked them hard.All he picked up was a tenth.My .02.

Use the Xs.Unless you are road racing,run em.Been here,done that.Eddys,peak at [email protected] head porting shop I worked at,built a similar 340,healthy X's,11.7 comp,solid roller.Ran 11.70s with the Xs,118 traps.Customer wanted Eddys,worked them hard.All he picked up was a tenth.My .02.

Damn, those are familiar numbers.

My 340 with the original ported X heads, 11.7 compression, and Crower solid roller, also ran an 11.78 @ 118.

I would run a new set of eddy heads over an rebuild set of x heads...

340s,solid roller.Roughly,250,260@ .050.Tried a tunnel,as wellWith a bigger cam,went slower.

Good thread, i will be in the same boat in a few months. Was thinking Eddy heads and Dual plane with Voodoo cam headers and AED 750 dbl. 3.91 gears and a 2500 stall 10" converter.

i changed from ported j heads to ported eddy heads and the car picked up one full second..with solid flat tappet cam....

I'll say it depends.LOL I've seen a few Edelbrock head converts wonder where the performance went. On another note I've seen a slight valve job change pick up a pile of ET and MPH,much more than a bunch of parts swapping.

i changed from ported j heads to ported eddy heads and the car picked up one full second..with solid flat tappet cam....
Those iron heads were butchered or the tune was crap. Sorry but that's the only way that happened.

Have a set of fresh X heads w some port work that flowed 245 @ .500 or I have a set of NIB edelbrock open chambered heads. Want it to perform well as a street car 3:55s, air gap and holley 750DP.

I'll jump in..:D. Looks like you can tolerate a pretty stout cam on the street so i'll go, use the X's, this hyd. Lunati and as much initial timing as it can handle.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60404/

"Want it to perform well as a street car 3.55/AG/750" This is why i picked the "X's". There's no mension of max effort or track time. He's got a set that flow decent and i don't see the need to use a brand new set of Eddy's that can be worked and used on another build.

"Want it to perform well as a street car 3.55/AG/750" This is why i picked the "X's". There's no mension of max effort or track time. He's got a set that flow decent and i don't see the need to use a brand new set of Eddy's that can be worked and used on another build.

I like the sound of that cam. Only concern is that my spring retainers hit my valve stem seal @ the .550 mark. Figured this out when flowing the heads. .513 would be no issue, but not sure if .533 would be a little to close for comfort. Or w the valve geometry and a set of PRW rockers that only really measure 1.45 my actual lift would be less and no worry anyways. And this is a street cruiser that I want to go good. Thats why I was kinda leaning towards the X heads so I can save the edelbrocks, get them worked and put them on a stroker for the duster witch is already set up for the track. Not sure what kind of power the Xs will achieve with my limit on cam size.

I like the sound of that cam. Only concern is that my spring retainers hit my valve stem seal @ the .550 mark. Figured this out when flowing the heads. .513 would be no issue, but not sure if .533 would be a little to close for comfort. Or w the valve geometry and a set of PRW rockers that only really measure 1.45 my actual lift would be less and no worry anyways.

I suppose you could take one step back and use the 60403. May sound just a little tamer, but i doubt you'd lose much performance wise.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60403/

Just putting out a few ideas. You know yourself there's many ways to skin this cat.....:D.

Those iron heads were butchered or the tune was crap. Sorry but that's the only way that happened.

believe the tune nor the head were NOT butchered....

i see quotes of running 11.70s at 118 mph....that is way off from what the car should be running...should be in the 11.20-11.30 area....apparently putting a better cylinder head on it wont help a lousey set out...if the car wont ET.....

For the street , the lunatti 60403 and the X's should be good . These days where can you really punch it on the street without getting the car impounded for street racing , or get fined for the polluting the air smoking your tires . You should get around 400 at the flywheel . Save the edelbrock heads for the track car .

believe the tune nor the head were NOT butchered....

i see quotes of running 11.70s at 118 mph....that is way off from what the car should be running...should be in the 11.20-11.30 area....apparently putting a better cylinder head on it wont help a lousey set out...if the car wont ET.....

You are making assumptions. No reason to get grumpy.

I have been running the comp cam .540-.520 solid cam in my 340.Spinning 6200 rpm.Edelbrock ootb open chamber mild port.Clearenced rockers for springs.No problems,Kevin.

I when from a set of ported 360 heads to a stock set of 340X heads and picked up (went faster) 1 full sec. And my shift point when down from 7200 to 5800.

Yes these heads were my first attempt to port a set of heads.
All the ET was lost in the first 60 to 80 feet.

I say use the X heads and 404 cam. Eddys would work good to, and with the open chamber(340/360 chamber) The compression would be about the same..........don't you need one more point of compression for ALU ? :-k:-k:-k

P.S you can get new valve retainers that give you more retainer to guide/valve seal clearance.

sounds like u have two sets of heads that flow about the same, but one will have mote energy 'heat in the chamber'-iron. Both r open chamber....and one is lighter weight....so which will give more benefit, hmm..lol
Run the X's and have the eddys ported, take advantage of them befote wasting time and gaskets to end up neck and neck.
Btw, most people dont know how to get bigger numbers out of old iron...so its no wonder why a set of ported eddys picked up over a set of ported x's.
the old heads will go 280's cfm 'full ported' while eddys will go 290's-300cfm.
Though if u have someone above average like iq52 porting them, well...now the ceiling just got higher.
I have 3 sets of old iron that go 260's-280's cfm fwiw.
cuda, so were the the low lift numbers butchered? or was the cam just wrong for the flow curve?, i have trouble understanding how the car could slow down.

-
Back