New 650 holly - hard to start

-

Richard McLaughlin

1974 Duster 340
Reaction score
My car takes many pumps to start after sitting for a month or so in the cold. Like 10-15 pumps. Is this normal?

My friends elsebroke seems to start easier.

He thinks my holly needs to be "adjusted"?

Any advice?
Thanks

After a month, your fuel bowls are likely empty. No number of pumps will help. I'm surprised your buddy's edelbrock isn't any worse. They're notorious for that issue.

Last edited:
ever check the float level to see if they are correct....check the accelerator pump to see if it is squiring gas like it suppose too.?

If it has been sitting for a few weeks or months.....crank it over for 5 - 10 seconds without pumping. The mechanical fuel pump should fill the fuel bowls. Then stop, pump it twice which will prime it and set the choke. Foot off the gas and it should start with the next crank.....

Shoot, both of my cars can sit for months, 2 pumps and they fire right up. Both holley carbs, both mechanical pumps. You sure it's not boiling out ?

It seems alot of these probkems have to do with the crap fuels today that vaporize easily. If you run a good quality fuel that has no ethanol (in these parts there is only one available at the pump, Chevron 94) vapor lock and fuel evaporation issues are much less.

-
Back