new '66 Valiant owner in Missouri

-

busteds13

Reaction score
hi! i'm Adam from Saint Louis, and i just picked up a '66 Valaint sedan. i THINK it's a 170, and it's a three on the tree. i'm definitely going to need a source of info. here's some pics, and keep in mind this car was $300:

1235804985821.jpg

1235672681081.jpg

66plymouthoutfront.jpg

-get it moving under its own power
-new tires
-find rear glass
-bodywork/paint
-serape blankets on the seats
-drive it

anyway, hi everybody.

Quickest visual way to tell the difference between the 170 and 225 is look at the bypass hose. If it's about an inch or so, it's a 170. Couple of inches and it's a 225

WOW, thats a GREAT find for $300!! Welcome aboard!

Awesome, another 1966 Valiant!! Welcome to the best Mopar site on the web, you got a sweet deal on that 66, what are your plans with it?

Picture 659.jpg

thanks guys. i had a momentary case of buyer's remorse, looking around and seeing that i now own four cars and only one is drivable.

this thing doesn't run. the story is short, and goes like this. guy drove it from like the early 80's up until '01, when he parked it, still in running condition. it was getting really ratty, and he wanted to restore it. never got around to it, gave it to his nephew. at this point it had been almost a decade and the car no longer runs, so he sold it to me... and now i get to jack around with it.

plans are to get it running, clean up the quarter rust, paint it a nice dark grey or gunmetal with a white roof, cover up the crap interior as best i can, and daily it, if possible. might sell it, i always wanted a two door a body. we'll see, i guess.

so where do you start when you pick up a non-running slant six? you can turn the crank no problem, and i'm going to pick up a spare battery tonight and see what happens.

Nice cruiser, welcome to the best A-body dite there is. Need anything, let us know, don't be shy.

current plans are to get it moving.. after that, fix the quarter rust and respray it. this will be my first paint job. i've done body work before, but never paint. i'm thinking two tone, grey body white roof. then just cover the busted up interior as best i can and it could be a nice weekend cruiser

that's a nice looking 2 door, man. the '66 front end is really starting to grow on me.

so what's a good course of action with a dead slant six? you can turn the crank, it's not seized. i'm grabbing a spare battery from the parents' house tonight, so i guess i'll see what happens.

You're right, it's a 170. Glad to see another '66 here, they're a real hoot. Best A body out there. Enjoy it, and if you need anything give us a shout. Somebody here knows the answer.

Read your edit. Pull the plugs and put about a teaspoon of Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder. Pour about a tablespoon full down the carb. Turn the engine over a few times and let it sit for a couple of days. Change the oil, make sure the gas coming from the tank is fresh, and pour a little gas down the carb. Fire it up and see what happens. It will smoke like a freight train for a while but should clear up. If it runs you're in good shape. If it don't we can help.

Welcome and grumpuscreature is right.
Can't wait to get started and ask away and help will be on its way.
We have some of the best of the best tec's here and some great folks roo.

Meet Victoria :cheers: /170 and three on the tree too.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx%20001.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20007.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20004.jpg

grumpuscreature, thanks. where can i get marvel mystery oil locally? would napa have it?

(edit: looks like trusty old wal mart has it, i'll pick some up tonight)

memike, that's exactly the paint scheme i want, but grey/white instead. very cool!

double edit: i've never used a 3 on the tree before. should the shifter be able to move forward/back very much? like should you be able to pull it towards you? it doesn't seem to have much play at all in that direction.

Spray your linkage down with white lithium grease and take sifter to the neutral position and pull it to you easy just wake that old linkage up.
Pull to you and down at the same time then back to the middle and it should
go forward and then lift up and that is second gear, Then soft staght down for third. spray and grease this area. Take it slow at first and let some lub make it to that nice old steel and wake it back up.

valiant%20005.jpg

side shot for our new member 8), Welcome and thank you.
At one of my favored stops.

LIFE%201475.jpg

very cool. i love that white top look, i don't know why. and this car's going to need some wide whitewalls.

memike, i'm going to show off how much of a newbie i am and ask... where am i going to find that linkage?

Welcome. I seen that car forsale on craigslist and it was a great deal for $300.00 My name is also Adam and I live about 30 min outside of the Stl.

Sweet another 66' Congrats.:cheers:

I love them. Guess that's why I have 2. :)

1st day at home with the convertible
Yosemite020.jpg

1st drive with Ruby

RubyValiant015.jpg

66,s There everywhere!There everywhere!!Welcome to the site and hope to hear you got it running real quick!!Time will tell!

Nice Vert!Dave.

thanks petty. she's looks a lot different now

This is the best site on the web for anything A-bodies. Welcome once again.

where am i going to find that linkage?

Open your hood and look where the steering shaft goes through
the fire wall. Bellow where you put brake fluid in your master cylinder.
It will look just like mine.

Is this your first car?

Ruby sure looks good Dave.

where am i going to find that linkage?

Open your hood and look where the steering shaft goes through
the fire wall. Bellow where you put brake fluid in your master cylinder.
It will look just like mine.

Is this your first car?

Ruby sure looks good Dave.

ah cool. thanks.
this is my seventh car, but the first where the shifter didn't fit directly into the tranny. i'm a Nissan fan, which may sicken some

alright, so i got a good battery in and i'm getting absolutely nothing, time to figure out where the fuses are

edit: it looks like two of the fuse holders are completely missing from the car? the plot thickens.

...also, as of yesterday, the brakes worked well enough to stop the car rolling down a uhaul ramp. as of just now, there is no resistance on the brake pedal whatsoever. what?

edit2: the wire from the battery to the harness was cut. so now i've got juice and it cranks. yay

-
Back