New 73 Scamp owner

-

Zelly

Tire Surgeon
Reaction score
Hello ...

Im Zack .... just bought a 1973 scamp this morning. In great shape it seems. Little tear on the back seat .. 318 auto ... disc up front ... Good condition Original vinyl top (im told) .. the sunroof does not work ...need new crank i guess ... and brake/blinker lights do not work .. thinking its the turn signal switch. Already checked the ground and changed out the bulbs.

was bought by the the pervious owner at Mecum auto auction in 2013.

Anyway .. looking at doing maybe a 4 link setup in the rear. Swaping out the rear gears (not sure which ones tho) ... Gonna be my daily drive to work .. (4 mile drive)

11043264_10100380595410873_7721789814996179859_n.jpg

11034284_10152637582957441_366710192799794652_n.jpg

Video of it here on my FB page ...
https://www.facebook.com/Zelly2196/media_set?set=vb.662217440&type=2

Welcome aboard :coffee2: Great looking MoPar :cheers:

Hi...watched your video...it was cool...we own a 1975 Scamp...Marla

Attachments

• tn_Rod Run...Teddy...Scamp 101.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 229
Thanks for the welcome so far!! ... its been an amazing week owning her ... done some TLC to her .. new plugs .. wires and oil .... got a new cooling fan and clutch fan coming .. with a new 625cfm Holly street demon carb ... Gonna do the Hotchicks TVA kit i think after driving her around .. she needs some updating in the suspension area lol

Sharp looking car and welcome to the site!

Great car Zack. I love the look of it.

The '73 Scamp tail lights are the same as the '70 Darts. I had trouble at different times with the socket losing it's ground and thus losing the brake and signal lights. On the housings, there is no ground wire to the socket. The socket is crimped onto the housing and is grounded through the housing bolts to the bumper.

I tested it by taking off the lens and holding a jumper wire against the socket beside the bulb and then touched the bumper. Lo and behold, the lamp lit up. I pried up the edges of the socket it a couple spots and scraped both the underside of the socket and the housing and then tapped them back together with a small drift. This worked for a couple months and then I lost my ground again. I did this a couple times on both sides.

I finally fixed it by taking my Dremel and making a small shallow groove in the backside of each socket and soldered a wire to it. I soldered a terminal ring to the other end and ran one of the housing bolts to the bumper through it. Now the socket has a hard wired ground and has given me no trouble for 4 years now. Mine is a daily driver so I was more concerned with safety than factory correctiveness. You can't see the wires even if you try because they are up behind the bumper on top of the housing.

I hope this helps. Hey, take a drive in a month up to Redding and enter her in Kool April Nites. We have a great cruise on Friday night and the main show on Saturday. We need more Mopars!

http://www.koolaprilnites.com/

Robj ... thank you for the invite ... wish i would of seen it in time! ... my Son is there now enjoying the show. Im at home taking care of the wife (had gallbladder removed Yesterday) ...

I got the brake lights to work replaced all the bulbs and some fuses.

I have to manually blink the turn lights tho ... replaced the blinker fuses and the lights .. found my top driver side blinker is missing the cable from the socket. So im guessing until that is replaced im stuck blinking it myself lol.

Had the backseat fixed up (had a rip along the top of the seat along the seem)
Gave her a face lift as well ... painted the grill black to get rid of the grandma's look she had

11075280_10152674524252441_3579081514390716368_n.jpg

I did just get myself her first upgrade tho! ...Big block 440!.. Craigslist for 431$ ... with the engine stand!! ...
11070167_10152713308347441_6474471553114699593_n.jpg

1555457_10152713308392441_6426488687394194013_n.jpg

Has forged crank ... 6 pack rods ... has the 516 heads ... gonna find me some 452 heads and get a set of pistons to put me around 9:3:1 compression .... keep her a nice reliable Daily driver.

Anyway .. just wanted to update where im at and check in ... gonna try and get her into Peggy Sue's here in town in June.

Forgot to Add ...

The SUNROOF took flight driving on the highway the other day ... was told the crank was bad ... turns out the sunroof wasnt even attached ... was laid in and being held up with some blocks lol ... the top piece is still in good shape .. vinyl is torn just a bit on the driver side .. nothing major tho. Have her placed back in and clamped down from the inside. Seems like i have all the parts except the part that attaches the roof to the tracks. For the life of me .. i can not find anywhere that has a layout or build sheet showing me the parts i need.

Any info on this would be amazing! ... Ill be sure to send some nice pics of the wife as a prize lol

Nice find on the 440...interesting looking combustion chambers,on those heads. Are they 915 castings, or have they been milled down that much?( possibly 346/452/906 castings?) Well anyways,sweet ride & WELCOME!
(Edit: saw the picture, before the casting numbers....)

Nice find on the 440...interesting looking combustion chambers,on those heads. Are they 915 castings, or have they been milled down that much?( possibly 346/452/906 castings?) Well anyways,sweet ride & WELCOME!
(Edit: saw the picture, before the casting numbers....)

It was a good find ... post was 2hrs old when i saw it ... jumped in the car and left ... wife didnt know where I went ... look on her face when i came home with a block was perfect lol

Thanks for the welcome!

Had to order a gauge cluster from Ebay .. all my gauges lost power and nothing working .. i changed out the voltage reducer and even tried a few other things .. and nothing ... all the wires came back good ... so something was up .... Anyway.. new cluster is in and all gauges are working ... even added a oil pressure and Tach while i was at it (both mounted down on the bottom of dash) ...

My Hotchkis TVS kit should be here any day now ... got a call from John today giving me a heads up that everything is ready but the upper control arms .. they are out for powder coat as we speak. Should have it all installed in time for Peggy sue's on the 13s of June.

I watched your video, looks like a good clean car! Enjoy and welcome!

Thanks gold ... She really is a great car ... i got lucky everyone says ... runs so much better after the new Carb, plugs, and water pump ....

I cant check my timing tho ... the alternator and fuel pump is mounted right over the timing indicator cant get a line of sight on to it. Still trying to figure that out.

My Hotchkis kit showed up today ... well most of it ... Leaf springs/tie rods/strut bars/ Lower control arm pivot kit.... the A arms and sway bars are being powder coated .. should get those some time next week im told. So tonight i got the Leaf springs just so they are done and out of the way when i do the rest of the kit next week.

1619343_10152813784962441_7579108514815329761_n.jpg

Ill take some final pics of everything installed when im done ...

First off, welcome aboard! I just sent you your first Friend Request. Nice score on the little Scamp -- I love the tail stripe especially.

Check your flasher unit under the dash if you're still having trouble with the lights and signals. It might be the culprit rather than the wiring itself.

I'm just curious if you chose a hammertone / silver vein finish for your Hotchkiss suspension when you sent it off. I've done up a couple of their setups in the past and was very impressed with the powder coating job on the sway bars especially. I'm sure you'll be really happy with the upgrades.

Congrats on the new car!

In the meantime, I'll try not to hold that offensive bare azz avatar against you. This is a family forum after all. :-D Welcome to the family Zack!

First off, welcome aboard! I just sent you your first Friend Request. Nice score on the little Scamp -- I love the tail stripe especially.

Check your flasher unit under the dash if you're still having trouble with the lights and signals. It might be the culprit rather than the wiring itself.

I'm just curious if you chose a hammertone / silver vein finish for your Hotchkiss suspension when you sent it off. I've done up a couple of their setups in the past and was very impressed with the powder coating job on the sway bars especially. I'm sure you'll be really happy with the upgrades.

Congrats on the new car!

In the meantime, I'll try not to hold that offensive bare azz avatar against you. This is a family forum after all. :-D Welcome to the family Zack!

Thats the finish i am getting ... the tie rods and strut arms are that color that came in the other day ....

The wiring i got sorted out for the most part ... replaced a few bulbs and sockets and they all work ... but my blinkers wont blink because the the Left Hood blinker is missing a wire/socket .. looks like it it just plugs in ... looks like a 3.5mm audio jack

The bare booty pic is my soon to be wife ... she lost a bet .. and well ... we all won lol ... This was the pic i used on my old car forums .. i can change it if need be.

-
Back