New and need a little help with a swap

-

jbaker72157

Reaction score
Pretty new here and I've spent the last few days just browsing and searching around. I'm sure the answers I need can be found, but I'm just having a hard time piecing it together.

Now that's out of the way. I am looking at purchasing a 74 duster that was originally equipped with a /6. The car currently has no motor or transmission.

Can anyone give me a break down of exactly what all I'll need to put a 318 in, preferably an auto. Are headers necesary for this swap, I want to get them eventually but I would like to get the car on the road asap.

Thanks for any help.

Find a good running donor with the 318. Make sure it runs well. You will need lots of things to do the conversion, ie; motor,trans,rad, motor mounts or V8 K member, etc,etc. Many little items such as accelerator linkage, kickdown cable, tranny coolant lines and I'm sure others will add to the list. This is why a good donor car is usually the best bet. All there and cheaper in the long run.

Find a good running donor with the 318. Make sure it runs well. You will need lots of things to do the conversion, ie; motor,trans,rad, motor mounts or V8 K member, etc,etc. Many little items such as accelerator linkage, kickdown cable, tranny coolant lines and I'm sure others will add to the list. This is why a good donor car is usually the best bet. All there and cheaper in the long run.

100% true, and the best way by far to approach this.
I may add that any complete 4 door of the same year would probably be the cheapest way to get all of the parts you need.
You don't need headers to do the basic swap BTW.

Keep your eyes open for the right donor you can find a 340 or 360 for the same price if you look hard enough! They are out there!!

this is how mine went, 73 duster , 225/6 3 speed on the floor

318/727 off CL $ 400
conversion mounts $ 150
26" radiator and shroud pull n pay $ 40
cheapy headers $ 140
driveshaft service $ 65
upper and lower radiator hoses $30

to this day i am still using all my existing wiring and throttle cable with no modifications.

because i am using a 727, i had to have my driveshaft shortened

you will need the trans lines, any A body trans mount and a driveshaft from a duster for a 904 and your rearend OR any driveshaft from any A body to be shortened for a 727 unless you find one

you will need the correct kickdown rods, and a way to shift it. i am using a console shifter.

outside of that , i am using everything the car came with and i drive it everyday.

Attachments

• d375.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 101
Thanks for the info everyone, I'm good with paint/body/suspension work but drive trains are far from my area of experience. Can't wait to get this project started.

-
Back