new armrest pad screws to short!

-

smokindust

Reaction score
just wanted to vent! after 30 minutes of trying to install a new armrest pad with all new bases and panels the screws that came with the pad are to short! I also bought an interior screw kit that has the armrest pad screws also and they are the same size, TO XXXXXX SHORT! who is makin this **** and who is doing the research on this stuff. thank god I saved the old screws when I took the duster apart 4 years ago! here are 2 pics . the original ones are on the outside. that's almost a 1/4" and that's about what I needed to catch the clips in the door! just wanted to let everybody know to watch out for this. a lot of the screws in the kit were not the same when I compared them to the originals! the kit was for an Abody I think from yearone.

Attachments

• armrest screws 004.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 257
  • armrest screws 005.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 248
I went through this a while ago. The difference is in the aftermarket arm rests. The screws don't go in as far as they do with the factory arm rest.

X3, had the same problem on my last ones I put on. Had to go to the hardware store and get some longer screws. Nothing worse than too short of a screw.

if the aftermarket pads are thicker, than they should come with longer screws not shorter ones. im just pissed because I spent money for new **** and I was thinking what can I possibly be doing wrong! companies put out products and they should know about this crap. I put 2 floors in on my duster from AMD and the holes for the seat belts by the rocker panels was cut out 2" forward! that was 2 years ago, I called them and he told me he was going to look into it. there made in japan!

Chinese parts buddy ! the factory arm rests had metal frames close to where the pad meets the door panel, the new aftermarket ones are just thick foam... sucks, but it is what it is ...

yea i dont know what is wrong with them (suppliers) its not that hard to order the correct length ones. save your old ones or yard used or hardware store new ones

Uh, go to the hardware store and quitcherbitchen. I bet it took more time to make this post than it took to run to the store.

Maybe I should make a thread about how much of a pain I go through everyday with my hardware. If this thread were a percentage, it would be 18 pages long.

Uh, go to the hardware store and quitcherbitchen. I bet it took more time to make this post than it took to run to the store.

Maybe I should make a thread about how much of a pain I go through everyday with my hardware. If this thread were a percentage, it would be 18 pages long.

WOW ! sounds like your entire life is a headache, sucks to be you ! ..

Those changed for OEM. Some models had clips in the door where others had only a drilled hole in the sheet metal. I don't know that the longer screws would scratch the glass in those flat glass models but the aftermarket doesn't know either.

I hear you there

just a taste

brand new accelerator cable from rock auto

wrong part does not fit, had to use my old one

brand new headliner clips .. wrong answer , do not work

my new voltage regulator , over charging, junk

all parts listed correct for my car , only half of them are actually correct

I could go on and on

........ .... ....... ......

so you expect me not to be pissed and not to expect the right parts that work after spending thousands of dollars on new stuff. if you read my 1st post I didn't have to go to the store, I saved all the original parts. maybe you should do the same! don't tell me im bitchen, I was just trying to make other members aware. I don't post a thread about every little problem I have with a car like some people and I also don't post on a their thread and be a sarcastic asshole! your a fuckin douchbag.

Guilty as charged. :goodman:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_djkPMdSMw"]guilty as charged by dewey cox - YouTube[/ame]

I feel for the OP. Hate it when I go to work on my car and am either short a screw or they are the wrong size, then I have to drive 1/2 hour(equals about 30 miles around here)to the nearest hardware store to spend less than a dollar.

I would be more concerned about the thread pitch on those hardware screws? The original screws had almost no pitch on the thread at all and also have the serrated surface under the head of the screw. This was made that way to prevent the screws from loosening and backing out. That, to me, seems to be the real issue with the repro armrest pads not being able to use the oem screws. Check them out yourself for the thread pitch vs those hardware store sheetmetal screws.

-
Back