New Autometer Project

-

kocuda

Reaction score
I took a 2 hour drive (1 way) today to exchange some gauges I purchased from Summit.
If you ever get a chance to go into one of their outlet do it.
WHAT a candy store for gearheads. Can you picture 20 plus intakes, half dozen blowers, 40 carbs, 20 different nitrous systems, and the list goes on and on, ALL ON DISPLAY! Way cool!!
Here's a picture of the new qauges I will be installing, will post pictures of progress and completion.

new gauges 002.jpg

I try and limit my trips to Summit because my "wish list" is long enough as it is. I agree that theres nothing like walking in there and feeling like a 5 yr old walking into a Toys-R-Us for the first time! Looking forward to seeing you get the new guages in because thats not too far off for me also. Are those back lit?

good luck with the fuel gauge, I still hate mine i think its the fuel level sender =(

Look at all that candy on the table =P~

The store I went to was near Akron, OH.
As for the fuel gauge I had to purchase a new fuel cell as well, one with a sending unit, so I think the hardest problem is going to be getting these all mounted in the dash. And yes they are all back lit. Speedo is also electric, so I had to get a send for the tranny as well.

Nice. I have Autometer Phantoms in the Duster and they look and work great. I just wish I would have gotten the electric speedo.

I have the designer black facing of the same gauges and I love them.

My fuel gauge works perfect, provided you get the 73-10 ohms, you should have no problem either. I have my car's original sending unit as well in the original gas tank and using the original wire. its very accurate.

really? mines all hooked up and i get the wrong reading, but my fuel tank does have dents in it, but it still should read full when I fill the tank as much as possible no?

Your right full is full. Provided you purchased the right ohm gauge to match your sending unit. They make like 4 different gauges. If your sure they match I would make sure you have a good ground on the tank and sending unit.

I haven't had mine full yet, but it was totally bone dry when I put the gauges in since it had old gas in it before. I put a little less than 5 gallons in it and it went to just a hair over 1/4 tank. Seemed just like my stock gauge that worked well too.

Maybe some one else could jump in here, but I think if the gauge and sending unit ohms didnt match, you would still get readings but they would not be accuate.

Sumit sells a sending unit for a 727 trans that will run that speedo?
What did that set of gauges run you? I want that exact set for my Duster........thanks.

Maybe some one else could jump in here, but I think if the gauge and sending unit ohms didnt match, you would still get readings but they would not be accuate.

Absolutely correct. You need to figure out the ohm sweep of the fuel level sender. Get out the multi meter and switch to ohms. Connect your leads in the right places and sweep the float arm. You will see the resistance change on the meter as you move the arm. This will help you determine the appropriate gauge to buy.

There may be a spec in the FSM somewhere, but I'm not sure of that.

good looking gauges. i have the phantom II. they look nice at night. what kind of dash you putting them in? RMD or custom

Duster383 the set of gauges with the trans sender cost close to $700. I plan to mount the tach and speedo in the factory bezel and the gauges in a line on the dash panel where normally you would see the heater controls, since I have deleted the heater.

Absolutely correct. You need to figure out the ohm sweep of the fuel level sender. Get out the multi meter and switch to ohms. Connect your leads in the right places and sweep the float arm. You will see the resistance change on the meter as you move the arm. This will help you determine the appropriate gauge to buy.

There may be a spec in the FSM somewhere, but I'm not sure of that.

The stock Mopar sending unit is 73-10 ohms. I believe most all the autometer units work 240-80 ohms. I haven't installed mine yet as the car is apart, but I went ahead and bought the universal sender. Hope it fits okay. Nice gauges. I bought the Artic White units.

The stock Mopar sending unit is 73-10 ohms. I believe most all the autometer units work 240-80 ohms. I haven't installed mine yet as the car is apart, but I went ahead and bought the universal sender. Hope it fits okay. Nice gauges. I bought the Artic White units.

That is very correct..... I found out the hard way but finally got it fixed to read correctly.

A few years ago, I had a '65 Belvedere I was working on. I had bought a repro 3/8" sending unit at Carlisle. That particular part showed 0-90 ohms when I did an ohm sweep on it. I planned on doing a custom gauge panel for the car and bought the appropriate gauge, Auto Meter # 2514 which was 0-90 ohms. I think that's generally a Brand-X spec., but that's what I needed for my particluar application.

Better to double check unless you're sure you have the stock unit.

good luck with the fuel gauge, I still hate mine i think its the fuel level sender =(
I have the same gauges in my car and the fuel gauge reads incorrectly. When the needle hits empty I still have 5 gallons of gas still in the tank.
I bought the 5715 gauge that is for Chrysler vehicles. The sender ohm range is 73 ohm empty and 10 ohms full for this gauge and my reading is still off. My sending unit was replaced when I installed my new tank.

-
Back