New brakes for my '65 Valiant

-

Andgott

Reaction score
I've been meaning to upgrade the master cylinder on my Valiant since I got it. It had the original single master cylinder, and I wanted a dual master cylinder for the added safety.

I figured while I was at it, I might as well check the entire system, and replace anything else that needed it. In the end, I put on all new shoes, new rear wheel cylinders, all new springs, self adjusters, new hoses... Many of which I've never replaced on my own. I'm going to post some pics of the job here, hopefully someone else who's new to this might get some benefit from it.

It was a really easy job, and not that expensive, Especially considering the added safety margin. The instructions on the Early Valiant & 'Cuda club helped a LOT!

http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/dualmaster.htm

This is the original setup-
photo2_zpsa9da3407.jpg

First, I gathered all the part. I bought a new master cylinder, which was about $24 from Rock Auto-
MasterCyl_zps859cd076.jpeg

I used one for a '68 valiant, which bolts right in place-

photo3_zps31d9463a.jpg

After the test fit, I changed over the connections at the junction box. This was easy- I removed the line that once led to the rear brakes, and plugged it in the junction box. I then used a union to attach a new hard line to it, which runs up to the rear port on the master cylinder.

The front lines are both attached to the junction block, and a new hard line is run up to the master cylinder's front port-

photo1_zps0675396b.jpg

Then it was just a matter of running the new hard lines up to the master cylinder. I used NICOPP lines, they are SO much easier to deal with than steel! I'm used to them on boats and marine applications, but this is the first time I've used them on a car. I'll never use anything else-

photo_zps92d53c67.jpg

I tightened it all down, then bled the system. It took me two tries, but I FINALLY got all the air out. I did bench bleed the new master cylinder first, but I'm not too sure that I did it correctly- I think that there MIGHT have been some air stuck there, but it all seems good now.

While I was doing this, I went ahead and inspected EVERYTHING, and replaced anything that needed it. All the hard line seemed OK, but I replaced the hoses. It was probably a good thing that I did, as some were brittle. One even broke when I was trying to remove it.

There was a little brake fluid in the rear drums when I removed them, so I replaced the wheel cylinders on both sides, the shoes, as well as all the springs and self adjuster hardware-

BrakesFront_zpsc3f7ad03.jpg

The wheel cylinders were fine in the front, so I left them-

BrakesRear_zps5eece694.jpg

But everything else is new.

I also removed, cleaned, and repacked the wheel bearings.

Then I put it all back together, adjusted the drums, and fired it up... I backed out of the shop, and it STOPPED... What a relief :D

I drove back and forth in the driveway leading to my shop to let the self adjusters do their thing, and after everything seemed to be OK, I took it for a road test. Once everything was adjusted, it was NICE. The braking is far better than before, I'm sure as a result of the new shoes.

After it was all done, and 'proven' on the road, I adjusted the Emergency brake, and now I'm ready for the road.

Overall, the entire conversion was about $50, with a new master cylinder, a plug, and a couple of hard lines. Of course doing the rest of the work that I did added cost, but I have about $100 or so total in the job. Not bad considering the vast improvement in braking- And also the peace of mind that comes with having two braking 'systems' in case one should fail.

-Andrew

I know this thread is ancient but just wanted to pop in and say I am about to do the same thing with my '64 and your details are giving me the confidence I need. -todd

Todd, a few comments that might help.

Plumbing: you can get the brass fittings at Autozone in bubble packs. They are all "inverted flare" type, male, female, 3/16" and 1/4". I posted PN's in prior posts (search). Insure you install a flare adapter in the 1/4" top junction block port. Do not direct plumb a 3/16 tube to it or it will leak. Plug the port where the rear tube connected. You could also plug the 1/4" port and run the front MC tube to the 3/16" side port (formerly rears), though less elegant.

MC:
The 1968 MC is cast-iron and those tend to have leaky tops. An alternate is a later aluminum MC. You can get a 2 to 4 bolt adapter ($30 ebay) to install one. Dr Diff sells MC w/ plate for ~$100. Many here use an MC for a ~1985 Dodge truck. I used one for a 95-99 Breeze in my 1964 Valiant (see post) and the brake pedal wound up in the same place. Insure you have a rubber bushing to lock the tip of the brake rod into the MC piston. Unbolt the brake lamp switch until finished, then adjust it to sense the pedal.

Todd, a few comments that might help.

Plumbing: you can get the brass fittings at Autozone in bubble packs. They are all "inverted flare" type, male, female, 3/16" and 1/4". I posted PN's in prior posts (search). Insure you install a flare adapter in the 1/4" top junction block port. Do not direct plumb a 3/16 tube to it or it will leak. Plug the port where the rear tube connected. You could also plug the 1/4" port and run the front MC tube to the 3/16" side port (formerly rears), though less elegant.

MC:
The 1968 MC is cast-iron and those tend to have leaky tops. An alternate is a later aluminum MC. You can get a 2 to 4 bolt adapter ($30 ebay) to install one. Dr Diff sells MC w/ plate for ~$100. Many here use an MC for a ~1985 Dodge truck. I used one for a 95-99 Breeze in my 1964 Valiant (see post) and the brake pedal wound up in the same place. Insure you have a rubber bushing to lock the tip of the brake rod into the MC piston. Unbolt the brake lamp switch until finished, then adjust it to sense the pedal.

Bill, many thanks. great info.

-
Back