New broken demon

-

69conv

error 401
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got a new street demon 625 for my 360 and have been trying to tune it since. recently discovered a fuel leak by the choke, so I watched a utube video on the insides and this is what I found.

Resized_20220103_150224.jpeg
Resized_20220103_150235.jpeg

That aint all.
Resized_20220103_150407.jpeg

May be hard to see but the float level is supposed to be set at 1.01" Its actually at 1.142 and the other side was worse.

Have a new gasket on order, hopefully will make it a bit more tunable.

Sadly, not an uncommon thing now. Be it carburetors, manifolds, heads, or whatever- there's no such thing as "bolt on and go" anymore. Whenever I buy something new, the first thing I do is tear it apart, clean, readjust, check tolerances, etc. Anything from machining debris to casting flash to just plain poor assembly is the norm now. Quality control is a thing of the past.

Only 1 is wet flowed in so many at time of manufacture to satisfy their quality control. Not that uncommon what you have there. Either send it back for fixing or return it for a used one, just ask them. Used ones are returns that are fixed and wet flowed. Usually they are cheaper as well. Edelbrock has the same problems.

It just takes one good toss from FedEx/UPS whatever and the float level is off.

You can't ever assume - always check. This was more of a mind set in the 50 and 60's. I look at it as a philosophy that we have lost. Quality control was better back then.

I'm too lazy to check one of my TQ's, but I've rebuilt at least a 100 TQ's and never had a gasket problem like that. That blue colored gasket looks kinda like a Felpro Perma-Torq gasket. Is that a Teflon coated bowl gasket? If so, maybe it's too slippery. I think the bowl covers on old TQ's have a raised thread/bead on the gasket surface which bites into the gasket preventing that kind of thing.

-
Back