new build no spark no start

-

abodyhotrod

Reaction score
k i thought i have everything right. the PSS switch prevents me from turning the car over but with the ignition on it has plenty of power to the + side of the coil, just no spark while cranking. it seems like the motor is not grounded but has solid motor mounts i thought no reason for a ground strap.

off the coil i have three wires one is the power, the other two red and orange red is on the + side and orange is on the - side. these two wires go to the msd dist. along with a third wire that is a black grounded hooked to the firewall.

help why wont the dist. fire. i really wanted to start the car yesterday.

Well here's some items to check:

take the coil wire out of the distributor side. Put it near a body panel and turn over. Does it arc? If not, then move backwards. Does the coil have the power on the correct side? Then check the MSD. Is it working? Move backwards from the simplest thing. Usually it ends up being the most simple item.

Check the voltage on the power wire at the coil in both start and run positions.

as of now i cant use the start position but in run its 11.85 volts msd calls for 12 but should work. prolly just a bad ground sumwhere.

coil reads power on both sides. i dont think thats good. new coil time, but first i will try a used one.

the coil should have power at both th + and - TERMS the wire form the - side goes to your controler or the points the points or controler brakes the curcit and make the coil creat the spark for the dist.

so could i, say tap the - on a ground to create a spark thru the coil.(figure it could possibly be the dist. not making ground) i currently have a tester on the end of the coil wire waiting to see spark.

what type of ing system do you have. if the eng. turn over it is gounded if your system is msd re check all the contections and make sure it is well grounded and every thing is hook up in the right lacation also make sure the gap in the dist.is correct but do not use a steel feller gauge to check the gap on the reluctor

well still figuring out the problem. i can take the dist. out and turn it by hand and gets plenty of spark. but when in and turned by starter no spark, power at coil will drop to say 9.8ish. i did get her to spark a few times with a fresh charged battery but didnt last long. i will be trying a lil bigger battery but starting to think i need to step up to a hi torque starter. it is currently a mini starter for a 93 318 dakota from napa. there is alot more compression in the new motor.10.5 the starter sounds like its movin fast enough.

when turning the dist. by hand while out of the car it sparks only when its moving at say 400 rmps nothing if you go slower. (the 400rpm is just an example).

oh ya its a msd blaster2 coil w/ a digital e curve dist. it calls for a 12 volt source and i have always had trouble starting the old motor with a week battery. the ballast is bypassed.

anybody any ideas why this dist dont fire at low speed.

when turning the dist. by hand while out of the car it sparks only when its moving at say 400 rmps nothing if you go slower. (the 400rpm is just an example).
The distrubiter doesn't turn nearly that fast during cranking. I'll guess relucter gap wrong or a bad pickup coil but i really dont know.
Good luck

while i was cleaning the dist. the magnetic pickups gap seemed a little far apart but dont believe its adjustable.

while i was cleaning the dist. the magnetic pickups gap seemed a little far apart but dont believe its adjustable.

Yeah its adjustable. Don't use a steel feeler gauge. 3 thicknesses of paper will give you .009

could it be an issue with the voltage regulator not giving you enough juice, i know from experiance with ecu's on heavy equipment that if there is a slight change in voltage they won't work the way there supposed to, i have no clue about msd maybe this will help maybe not

650 cca battery at 12.2 volts nothing (no spark)
750 cca battery at 12.5 v. one crank worth of sparking.
750 @ 13.4 volts started a few times till it dropped. then no more spark.

seems to crank good with all batteries. maybe i need a bigger battery or better starter.its a stock mini starter.

vid of car running... first time

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l8W3bFGzogc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l8W3bFGzogc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8W3bFGzogc

-
Back