new build specs

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
Found cracks in the saddles around the cam bearings and in the oil galley, and valley area. So, I got another block today.

This is what I am putting together this week.
1972 318 .030 over with KB silvolite pistons
-4 valve reliefs, .068 in the hole
New durabond bearings thru out.
Fel-pro .039 permatorque head gaskets
302 casting heads with 1.88/1.60 valves 62cc chambers
-gasket matched and cleaned up in the bowl
Isky tool room springs
Isky 270 Mega
-221 at .050, 270 adv., .465 lift on a 108 lsa
Speed Pro high rev lifters
Crane ductile iron rockers
Crane powermax timing set +/- 4 degrees roller
Melling HV oil pump
Edelbrock Performer for now,
-may look into a bigger dual plane or small runner single plain like holley street dominator or offy 318 port-o-sonic- small runners!
Edelbrock 600 cfm for now till I can get a double pumper and set it up right
Holley Strip Annihilator ignition with MSD coil

What do you guys think? I'm hoping for 325 real horsepower. In my duster that would be fun to drive around in. I'd love to hear what you all think.

The cam may be a little big for the size of the ports and compression with the pistons that far down the hole. I would run the thinnest head gaskets available too. Call Hughes Engines and ask them what cam they reccomend.

The cam may be a little big for the size of the ports and compression with the pistons that far down the hole. I would run the thinnest head gaskets available too. Call Hughes Engines and ask them what cam they reccomend.

nah...I see a lot of people use these on EFI mag motors and they run ok like that. not necessarily optimal, but not bad. I don't think he's asking too much.

Low end might not be so sassy though.

I am installingthe cam advanced a few degrees, so bottom end should be plentiful. The runners on the 302 heads are small but they have been cleaned up pretty well, and are ported to the size of the ports of a cast 360 intake. They were going to be run on a 360 and I convinced them that my 340 heads with 2.02's were a better choice.
I chose the performer intake for that purpose, too, after much discussion and a few annoyed people, because I want some grunt, as well as top end. My torque converter flashes at @2200 now so I know it will flash higher with more torque applied. So far, so good. I spoke with the men at Isky for a long time, I wanted to run the strongest street cam they had for a 318 and they said this is a great little cam, since on a 108 it will build cylinder pressure, but it will also breath at 6000 with the 221 degrees of duration. So, we'll see. I had another engine ready to build when I found those cracks, that one was zero decked, would have been alot of fun but I don't have the money now to get this one decked, so I gotta go for it with what I got for now. Some folks have said compression would be an issue but I believe I will be ok.
I speak with Tim and the guys at Hughes quite a bit, and have a 318 whiplash series cam sitting here in the box, my problem with it is that I don't have the clearance in my retainer/guide area. Overall, after talking with so many different grinders about cam timing events and their effects I chose a little tighter lsa, enough duration to rpm, and enough lift to use these little runners well. I hope I made a good choice! I guess we'll see! I am beginning building tonight.

I had a block fully machined a few years ago. the magging missed them and the #4 cam bearing went in wicked easy... Then I saw the crack. No clue how or why but it cost me a bit to repalce the block for him.

The build looks good to me, except I'd use a stock oil pump and HP spring from MP. Otherwise looks good.

The cylinders had good compression when run last, so I checked close for any scoring, things are good. Light hone and good to go. Put it all back together. New bearings, plastiguage, torqued to 95 on the mains, 45 on the rods. .0004-.0006 tolerance. Good. Installed the new melling high volume oil pump, and checked every rod and cap one more time. Sprayed lube into the bottom of the pistons to clear any little thing that I couldn't see. Looked at everything, slowly, double checked, then flipped it over. Break time!
So, next I'll install the cam and timing set. then the heads. I assembled the heads thursday, new Isky springs, manley valves. Gonna run my crane adjustable rockers, this is my first time running them on a hydraulic cam. I have to check the length of these rods, though, I am concerned they might be the wrong length. If they are, no worries, I have several sets of stamped rockers, and stock rods. gonna have to do some measuring, and research the rod lengths. So far so good! Do you guys soak your hydraulic lifters before you set your lash? Hughes says don't, isky says lubricate, summit says do soak for an hour, I don't know who is right. I don't want to mess this up. Last time I used stamped rockers and did not soak them, but when I fired that one up it was pretty scary in the first few seconds of the break in, I count myself lucky it turned out really well. that car was vicious. What do you all think?

You oughtta go with the .029" head gaskets with the slugs that far down. Mr. Gasket makes some.

-
Back