New Cam for the Stroker...

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
Well, I cam across another deal, so I snagged it up. Its a new Crane solid roller cam for my stroker! I have some questions for you guys, so here are the specs:
.630/.630 w/1.5 rockers, 292/298 adv, 260/[email protected], 108 ls, 3800-7600.
It is going in a 422 with 11.7:1, all forged internals, deep pan, lots of good oiliing mods, hughes main girdle and studs, Indy 245 CNC heads with 2.14/1.65 valves, Indy single plane intake port matched and cut down for hood clearance, 850 dp, and hooker 1 3/4 super comps. Tranny is a 904 with a reverse manual valvebody (still gotta buy the VB) and 3400 stall. Rear is an 8 3/4, for now stock axles, and I think I'm going with 4.10 gears.

What do you think the power range will be with the stroker as opposed to the 340/360 combos? I talked to a few people at Lunati, and they dropped the power range down by 4-500 rpm because of the longer stroke. Should I go with 1.6 rockers with these heads? They flow so much, I'd like to take advantage of that. I am building this engine on a budget...I know, probably doesn't sound like it, but every part is used. I like to shop. That in mind, does this sound like a good combo? It will get street driven, but I won't be able to afford to do that much with gas prices where they are going.

Last, but not least, if I hook up, what do you think it will run? Thanks guys!!

With the heads you are running, you could probably use a bigger cam than that. If you use it, I'd for sure go with the 1.6's. You may also want a bit more stall. I'm thinking with those heads it should pull to 6800-7000 with no problems. Very low 10's should be easily within reach!!

With the heads you are running, you could probably use a bigger cam than that. If you use it, I'd for sure go with the 1.6's. You may also want a bit more stall. I'm thinking with those heads it should pull to 6800-7000 with no problems. Very low 10's should be easily within reach!!

I agree with you Kevin.I would run about a 5000 stall converter.when I ran my 425 W5 motor I ran a [email protected] roller .720 lift on a 108 ls and peak TQ was at 5200 and peak power was at 6600 and shifted at 6900 and ran a best of 9.77@138 at 3110lbs.

I think it's pretty close with the catalog estimates. It's a fairly large cam for a street engine and I think it's a great choice with those heads. I think it will be lopey and I'd expect it to be a little soft below about 3K. Honestly... If you plan to run slicks or drag tires, you may want to build a Dana for it. Once it's tuned and a decent convertor in place, you'll have enough steam to break the 8 3/4. I don't think you need a convertor any higher than 4K, but I'd suggest a good 8" race convertor that is tight at 4K rather than some 10" or 9.5" street convertor.

i dont think your going to notice that its soft below 3000 rpm if you have a 4000-5000 stall.all i know is i have a 263/[email protected] in my 418, when you nail it ,it rips!lots of torque. 4.10 gear.

i think if it hooks your going to break an axle. i think youll be okay with the 8 3/4 if its in good shape but you absolutly are going to need heavy duty aftermarket axles. those stock ones arnt goint to last for the first 60 feet

Thanks for the input! I was thinking about the rearend today while I was at work. I have a housing out of a 68' truck, I thought about sending it out to moser to have it shortened and braced, along with some of their axles. Do you think that would last? Or should I just go straight for a Dana 60? I have a truck dana 60 housing, but I'm not sure if it has 3" or 3 1/2 tubes, I don't have it nearby to check. I read somewhere that some of them came with bigger tubes. It doesn't have the mount for the pinion snubber. Also, on the subject of rearends, what kind of suregrip should I run? What brand/style?

I can't believe that it is gonna possibly run those times!! Thats insane...I can't wait! I think I will run 1.6 rockers just to take advantage of those heads. I have a feeling that my 904 will be my weak link, its been rebuilt with good (not the best, but decent) clutches, etc, but for the most part is just a stock performance rebuild.

Yes on the dana. I'd just order a new one with the snubber mount if you go that route. The 904, if it's stock, will not last. They need to have hard parts (front clutch retainer, rear sprague, hardened pump ears) replaced in order to make them really last at big power levels. I dont think it will run 10s until some major chassis work and sorting happens. But, it will have the capability toget that fast eventually.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I think it will be a ridiculous street car the way it is, but I'll have to do some mods to the entire drivetrain before I can take advantage of the new engine. From what all of you have said, I think I made a good cam choice! I really want to drive the car, so I'm almost ready to try it with the stock axles, etc. I havent moved my springs in yet, so I'm sure it probably wont hook up enough to do any damage. You guys are making me really antsy to put this thing together!!

-
Back