New cam new headers

-

jrosey

Reaction score
Will the break in on a new cam ruin my new headers they have a chrome finish

If you do it right, the answer is no. That's said why chance it?

Nope I thought about buying cheap huggers off eBay but then will they fit my 383 in my dart then I would have to make some exhaust pipes to go down a bit or can I run headers without exhaust pipes

Yea but will the chrome flake off or anything or just turn blue what's worst case

Yea but will the chrome flake off or anything or just turn blue what's worst case

Worst case is headers rust away into nothing and fall off....

But that's not very likely.... #-o

If the chrome is good, it should hang on, and just turn blue from the heat...

I hope it's good they are Schumacher tri-y's thanks for your help

I would do everything possible to keep temps down. box fan in front of car, cold spark plugs, jetted a little rich, maybe run it for 10 minutes-let it cool-then 10 more minutes

Headers get fried from not enough timing.

Get it fired and twist in about 40 degrees of timing. You won't hurt it with no load on it.

There are many ways to set the timing before start up, that way you will not over heat your headers.Chrome will blue after a while regardless.One way I have done it is to crank while using a timing light,key on, NO fuel.It will flash and you can set for your lead before any fuel to the engine.Least you will have a base line to start.

There are many ways to set the timing before start up, that way you will not over heat your headers.Chrome will blue after a while regardless.One way I have done it is to crank while using a timing light,key on, NO fuel.It will flash and you can set for your lead before any fuel to the engine.Least you will have a base line to start.

and wipe all the assembly lube from the cam and lifters?
no thanks

I wouldn't worry about blue-ing the pipes on just a cam swap
it is the piston and ring break in that causes the excessive heat
breaking in a cam will not cause any more heat then normal operation conditions
(though the idea of putting a fan in front of the radiator is still a good idea)

All I know is that TTI says not to do it to their headers that are ceramic coated. They say that the lack of air moving around (car sitting stationary) overheats the coating. New coating needs heat to fully cure, but not too much heat. Maybe chrome is the same way.

All I know is that TTI says not to do it to their headers that are ceramic coated. They say that the lack of air moving around (car sitting stationary) overheats the coating. New coating needs heat to fully cure, but not too much heat. Maybe chrome is the same way.

What about putting a 3-4 foot diameter fan in front of the radiator and letting "her blow"....

And it's true. I damaged mine on a chassis dyno.

You would crank for less than 2 seconds. What goes on while cranking before it starts anyway? As I said there are many ways to preset the timing before starting.I knew I would get grief for stating that one. I recant that post.sorry.

Thanks everyone I have just read people sayn that u can ruin new headers breaking in a new cam just didn't want the chrome to fall off or rust. Bluing is fine it will happen anyways

That only pertains to ceramic coated headers.

Break in for headers....News to me.....

it is not the headers that are being broke in, it is the rest of the engine
the idea is that you build a complete new engine, slap new headers on it and then wreck them during engine break in

I hope it's good they are Schumacher tri-y's
That's what I have. No clue how long they been on the car, a few years at least, but they're still shiny. I don't think you'll need to worry about the quality with them.

-
Back