new cam... what's your opinion?

-

redfastback

Don't ask me... my garage is empty
Reaction score
I just got a new cam setup for my 360. I got the comp cam 231-4...

282/290 adv. duration, 244/252 @ .050
Lift is .520/.540 yet I have 1.6 rockers on intake 1.5 rockers on exhaust.... so that makes lift .553/.540.

I am also getting my converter built to match this. It will be a 9.5" with a stall around 2800-3000..

This should be fun! Its replacing my boring 274xe cam I out in there about 6-7 years ago....

Hey Steve,

That's a good cam for a hot street car. Same cam in a 340, ede heads, victor, headers made 455hp. Idle will be raspy. I might put a bit more converter behind it. Get one that flashes hard.

CB...
Thinking of having PTC or Dynamic build my converter. They have done me right in the past. Flash hard?

Whats your definition of raspy idle? I will also change out my MSD dist bushing to limit centrifigal advance to either 10 or 14 degrees...

Good approach.

Tell the converter company you want it to drive decently and when you mash the pedal it flashes to 3800ish. Lenny can get that done.

I've got bushings if you are looking for them.

CB, I already have the bushings from 4 SF...

Lenny is at Dynamic right?

I have a hard time remembering which rep I talk to at which place....

Need to catch up... I just built my wife a 383 stroker for her 63 Nova SS and it is god damn fast!

like the others said already, it should really haul especially compared to the 274.

I've never heard a complaint from anyone running that cam. A buddy of mine had a 340 with that cam and it ran real good. I had a 360 with the 274XE cam and we had the same heads and it ran decent but I'm sure Brian's 340 would have eat mine up pretty easy.

Your lift isn't going to be what you think though. Due to the angle of the pushrod to the lifter and rocker arms you lose some lift. With the 1.6 rockers it'll be close to what it's advertised at with 1.5 rockers.

BTW: good to see you back on the board Steve. haven't seen ya in ages

I've got the XE268H in my 360 .. here's how it sounds with headers to 2.25" pipes and turbo mufflers.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Anmdti_C4"]Dart running - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks Tracy! I post every now and then..... had to take a break for a while. Good to see that you CB, Rumblefish and a few others are still here...

Either way, with that much more lift/duration than I have now, & a fresh custom TC, things should be quite a bit faster!! Might even come up on a 408 kit that a customer @ the machine shop abandoned.... . We will see.

Its funny....a few friends have asked me " why didnt you get a solid roller?" "Their way better"....

How much better will it be?I always thought that a roller cam took a bit of HP due to the higher spring seat pressures.....

A solid cam is sweetness, without the high price tag. Enjoy! (just maintenance,please).

Adjusting valves is nothin....

just not sure of any great benefits of the roller.

Its funny....a few friends have asked me " why didnt you get a solid roller?" "Their way better"....

How much better will it be?I always thought that a roller cam took a bit of HP due to the higher spring seat pressures.....

Any (LOL) HP loss due to high spring pressure (LOL) is an amount (LOL) equal to a bad joke and should be ignored.

The roller tappet just rolls on up and over rather than slide. This is a friction reduction freeing up HP in itself.
The roller cam can open up the valves way much quicker, higher and longer than anything else. Those three things add much more power vs. all other style of cams spec per spec.

You can get a solid cam to perform just about dead nearly as well as a solid roller if you order the right lobes to be ground on it and up the anti on the rocker ratio. But in the end, the solid roller wins.

If your in the street, a stout solid cam with 1.6 rockers can have you hauling *** on fire style. There would be no problem creating 550-600 horses with the right parts of course.
For me, stepping up out of that would be a race grind solid roller.

They also run twice as expensive.... being that this will be a street brawler, I think I will be fine with what I have. I still need to buy a converter too.

It was an early xmas gift from my wife...

I run a solid roller, its night and day .

Flat tappet cams full lift is a blip compared to a roller which I why you see guys run so much lift with a flat tappet when with a roller you don't need all that lift because you don't need to depend on open/close ramp so much for cyl filling.
The other thing to realize is by the time you grind a fast enough ramp on a flat stick, you just shortened the life of that cam and it still doesn't hold the valve at peak as long, its close in hp...but not quite.

Where ever the peak flow@x lift is, the roller doesn't need to lift any more than that peak.
The roller cam will just hang at peak lift longer without killing all the low speed torque and creating higher demend on gears and convertor.
You can get way more lift without the duration sky rocketing.

In reality, the jump from flat tappet to roller is all about how much money you have.
The number one reason a magnum 360/318 made anymore power than the la version is because of that rollers excellerated lift and 1.6 rockers They knew they needed to do two things, cleaner emissions ' closed chamber' and increase advertised HP in competition with GM/ford- roller, 1.6 rocker, and better exhaust port being they were stuck with manifolds. Wish they did a header like ford and some GM's.

I would love to see a magnum fitted with the same 4brl flat tap cam and 1.5 rockers 'more like 1.45' as the 70's 360's , would love people to see that. :)

-
Back