New carb spacer from Don @ FBO

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
I just got this from Don today in the mail.

Looks pretty weird but he swears it will make an extra 20hp. Pretty cheap if it does..........I had to get a spacer anyway

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

How thick is that spacer? Maybe I should test it out. We are going to engine dyno my 408 at the end of this week.

20 HP? I would be suspect.

He says it has been tested on the Dyno..........Don is a straight up guy, I dont believe he would lie. But as you know it was in a controlled envirnment.

Looks cool anyway and it sure is different. I have never seen one before!

If it doesn't make the extra ponies you could at least use it as a weapon in some post apocalyptic war zone! :snakeman::bootysha::-D

so what hp are you supposed to get how its it supposed to give you more hp?

On a recent Dyno Test: "We installed this spacer with NO Other adjustments and it made 20 more HP on a 700 HP engine from 3500 all the way to 7000 RPM."
From Dons Site at 4secondsflat.com

It won't make anywhere near 20hp on a 240 hp engine... that's for sure. It's all relative.

If it had some holes in it and solenoids plumbed to it, then i would believe it. LOL

Too bad I don't have access to one. My friends 420+ ci SB is on the dyno ready to go this week.

If someone needs a spacer beyond an open one, they have the wrong intake on it. No way in hell that makes 20hp more on it's own. But, I'm sure some will buy into it.

If someone needs a spacer beyond an open one, they have the wrong intake on it. No way in hell that makes 20hp more on it's own. But, I'm sure some will buy into it.

Moper,

Those words are not my own.......I simply needed a spacer so I called to order one up and he told me that he had a new design and the cost was similar to the regular one. So I ordered one up. It doesn't matter to me if it makes another 0hp or what ever. If it cleaned up someones Idle it would be worth the extra cost I would think.

It was something new that most have never seen and I just thought I would share it with everyone so they could make their own decision about it, which is what you did.

I didn't post it to get anyone upset...........

I really do appreciate everyones input on all that is posted on this site.
This site is teaching me alot about this hobby.

Yes it kind of does but his war head sticks down into the manifold.

Yep, it sure does. For single plane intakes only I imagine. I've seen these "Boattails" used in header collectors too. The concept is to rid the gas coulmn of the vacuum that forms behind a square, flat area. Think of a truck (Like my Ramcharger) doing 75 down the highway. A vacuum forms behind the truck and tries not only to pull the truck back (Aerodynamic Drag) but tries to suck exhaust gases in. This is really apparent when driving in a rain storm and all the water gets sucked back on to the rear window. The boattail is an attempt to merge the air flow from around the flat area under the carb or in a header collector and reduce drag. If you look at the HVH, it has the wedge shape under all the flats under the carb. BTW, I really need to get my tailgate and rear hatch weather strip back on, lol. The fumes are killing me.

Just an observation and food for thought.

Edit: I wonder how fast in MPH (velocity) that the air/fuel mixture in an intake manifold or exhaust gases in a header at high rpm are running? I would imagine it would be pretty darn fast.

Mad,
No offense taken or meant to be given here either. The fact is, the first thing air does in an intake, after going thru the carb and picking up fuel, is turn 90° at least once. The HVHs and now FBOs will help smooth out flow in a linear direction and to a small extent help "pull" along the air behind just as Ramcharger says. But in a header, the merge is in a straight line. In an open plenum, like a tall single plane or a tunnel ram, I know there are gains. On the typical short single plane, or any dual plane, they will not do that much.

Mad,
No offense taken or meant to be given here either. The fact is, the first thing air does in an intake, after going thru the carb and picking up fuel, is turn 90° at least once. The HVHs and now FBOs will help smooth out flow in a linear direction and to a small extent help "pull" along the air behind just as Ramcharger says. But in a header, the merge is in a straight line. In an open plenum, like a tall single plane or a tunnel ram, I know there are gains. On the typical short single plane, or any dual plane, they will not do that much.

I understand...........Thanks again for all of your help!

-
Back