New carpet

-

valiant1966

Reaction score
I am looking to get new carpet for my 66 Valiant 2 door hardtop. It is a daily driver so I don't need the greatest carpet in the world. Any suggestions or experiences you could share about different manufacturers? I'm not looking show ...just enjoy. Dennis

I got a set on ebay, can't remember where but it was under $100, fit is not perfect (mine is a 4-speed) but it looks nice and I am happy with it.

Attachments

• DSC08322.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC08249.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 355
rockauto runs ~$130 as I recall, with several choices. I got new carpet for my 65 Dart GT 2 door cheaper from someone who sold out, but haven't installed yet.

Most vendors I have seen sell stuff made by Auto Custom Carpets. It seems a little light, but the quality is good otherwise. I've worked with three different vendors on four different cars. Each time the carpet has come in an ACC logo 'ed box.

I've had difficulty getting correct heel pads for '66 Darts. In both cars I restored, the heel pad had "dots". After the first vendor sent me a carpet with a ribbed heel pad, I learned to specify the dotted one. The second time, the vendor (different vendor) contacted me to ask if I was sure. Since it doesn't cost any more to get the carpet with the "correct" heel pad, you may as well get what you really want now so you don't have to make excuses later.

Got my carpet from Trim Parts, it did not appear to be made by ACC which is the biggest mfg of replacement carpets. Hours of trimming & fitting, fit was OK but not as good as factory which is true of all to my knowledge. Had an incorrect ribbed insert. It's a shame that nobody makes them as original which dropped in with all holes precut, I'd be willing to pay double or more for that. I talked to an interior guy who's done these things since the late 1960's & he says no aftermarket carpet of any brand fits without a lot of work, he uses lots of adhesive to make them fit better.

Interiorfinished1_zps0f3fe9a7.jpg

I've used Stock Interiors in the past. Great prices and great service. They also come in an ACC box.

Thanks to all. This is what I was looking for. I had looked at all of these sites but sure helps to know what others experiences have been. I did a few restorations many years ago but they were show pieces and sure wasnt happy with what I got. Thanks. Dennis

One little thing I have noticed. All of the web sites for carpet vendors list a Valiant and a Signet. Anyone have any idea of what the difference might be? Same prices and all but actually do have different numbers. I'm kinda puzzled. I thought a Signet was just a trim package so to speak for a Valiant. Thanks. Dennis

Maybe that heel pad they were talking about above is different between the trim levels!! Carpet and floor pan dimensions are the same!! Geof

Good info as I was going to replace mine as well. Someone had pieced together junk wal mart carpet before me and it just looks bad.
Paul

Another vote here for StockInteriors.com ... decent quality, great price, lightspeed shipping (3 days!), different piles to choose from, and free samples to look at in advance. It's not a preformed kit and there is some trimming / heat gun effort involved to mold it, but it's not bad at all.

I would also say stock interiors. I ordered a full carpet kit from them about a year ago for my 65 barracuda. There was some trimming involved, and I rushed it a little. If you took your time it would come out great!

Just for the record. I just ordered from RockAuto. As 2 Darts said, it looks like most of these vendors use ACC as does StockInteriors and RockAuto but with the discount, they were $30 cheaper than most everyone.

I really appreciate all the input from everyone because "the devil is in the details" even when doing something simple. Thanks FABO!!! Dennis

Happy New Year!!

Don't even think you can save by going directly to acc they will charge you more than the venders do. go figure!

Just an update since I think a couple of others were following this thread. I did buy from RockAuto and it was ACC when it arrived. Found out that ordering the Signet will get you "dots" on the heel pad and ordering the Valiant will get you the "ribbed" heel pad. The heel pad was welded in place like factory...not sewn as some others. The quality was as good as any I've seen and the price was $120 with usual discounts and shipping to my place of business.

Thanks all for your input and I hope this helps someone else. Dennis

Just an update since I think a couple of others were following this thread. I did buy from RockAuto and it was ACC when it arrived. Found out that ordering the Signet will get you "dots" on the heel pad and ordering the Valiant will get you the "ribbed" heel pad. The heel pad was welded in place like factory...not sewn as some others. The quality was as good as any I've seen and the price was $120 with usual discounts and shipping to my place of business.

Thanks all for your input and I hope this helps someone else. Dennis

Whoo Hoo, thanks for the update! Ill be doing my little project before long, and the info is good to know!! I'd like to see your heel pad when you get it done, I'm doing a convertible 66 Barracuda from a signet body and I'd like to have everything Cuda correct! Geof

Since we are on this thread, Does anybody know if there is a difference in a 2 dr and 4 dr carpet? I don't think there is, but not sure. I need a carpet for a 1965 Valiant 4dr, but with a factory 4 speed. I see they list 2 dr auto and 4 speed, but nothing for mine.

After closer inspection, 396 Signet is correct. The original carpet was sewn also. The stitches were covered with the rubber/plastic material and I thought they were "faked" in. I actually pulled a corner up and they are real stitches. All in all tho, I still am happy with my purchase.

Cosgig, here are pics of the dots....old and new. Keep in mind, the old one has about 48 years of wear on it. I'll never know if the new one wears that long. Ha! Dennis

Dots1_zps615e7c82.jpg

Dots2_zpsa082848f.jpg

Dots3_zps3b59c4f3.jpg

-
Back