New classic car style bench seats?

-

VSTwister

Reaction score
Who makes some classic car looking bench seats that have modern built comfort? I would look into keeping a bench seat if the style procar 90 scat buckets existed in a bolstered bench seat version. TMI products makes a line of universal fit bolstered bench seats, but I don't care for the look and more importantly they are stupid expensive. I like the look of my original bench seat but it's uncomfortable, bounces you up and down with every bump, and is completely flat and I don't even have an armest.

Are there any other manufacturers out there that I'm missing?

Take the original, add springs and new foam. It will be like a new car seat.
You will probably find some broken springs once you get the cover off.

I don't know of much else out there that fits what you want, that you haven't already found. But, a good upholstery guy can make the seat as soft or firm as you want it, add bolsters, and modify and sew a stock cover to fit..also not cheap, but a solid frame and your imagination is all they should need. The other option is to hit the junkyards, maybe there's something in a late model something-or-other that will work, that just needs maybe a basic re-cover job.

Take the original, add springs and new foam. It will be like a new car seat.
You will probably find some broken springs once you get the cover off.

That's it? I mean I figured the old springs just are what they are. My bench seat is in really nice shape and intact, I'd prefer to have bolsters added to it so you don't slide away on aggressive turns, and get it more comfortable and not bouncy when you hit the smallest bump in the road.

I assumed bolstering it is out of the question though. 50 year old vinyl stretching? Even removing it and reinstalling it with standard foam could be risky....I would think.

An old trick to firm up these seats is to slide a piece of luan board under the springs. It makes a big difference since it spreads the load out.

I don't think there's a company that does that. I could be wrong. This is one of the areas I've been looking at as I have to do "something" with my seats, so I've been looking. Ain't seen anything "like that" yet. You could find a more modern seat comparable in size and modify it with your seat tracks. I am thinking about that myself.......although I would really rather stick with my originals. I have so much time before I drive the car again anything's possible. I may not even drive it again before I'm dead. Who knows?

2nd and 3rd row seats from a mini-van.

Yeah but for a two door, they don't fold. Can you think of one that the back folds forward on? With as many options as there are nowadays there probably are some.

If you're sliding across the seat in harder turns.....you aren't wearing your seat belt tight enough. It's looking like getting someone to rework your existing seat to your liking is the best choice.

-
Back