New Clutch.....Problems

-
Yesterday I shipped the "funky" clutch back to Rock Auto. The kit is no longer stocked so that made it easier to get a refund. I will have to eat the shipping cost, but I'm glad to be rid of it. I do not plan to buy another cheap part store clutches again.
I now need to find another clutch kit and soon. There is a very good clutch shop in the area, but I have been told to not be in any hurry as the turn around will take a month or two. Knowing that, I'm thinking of just buying new now.
I'm still leaning for a B&B as I don't really want to have to remove the pedal over center spring as would be required if I went with a diaphragm clutch.
I'm not looking for a high performance clutch. Just something that is some what close to stock as the vehicle is a bone stock semi survivor car.
There are very few choices when it come to B&B clutches today.
So far I'm seeing a Ram HDX #88766 and a Hays Street/Strip #85-301 as a couple of options out there.

The good thing about the local shop is (if you can kick them in the can and get it done in a reasonable time frame) you can tell them what you want. If it was me I'd use a rag disc like you had, have them set you up with 2400 pounds of static pressure and set the finger height at OE height.

You don't need any more plate load than that. If you want to, you could cut it back to 2000 pounds and have them set it up for 3 roller assist. That would reduce pedal effort at low RPM and increase load as the RPM goes up.

Just to wrap up this post some. I ended up ordering a Ram B&B clutch kit #Ram-88766 from Summit Racing tonight. I called the Ram Tech line today and he said that the 88766 was a good choice for a street OEM replacement clutch.
Summit's web site shows a picture of a diaphragm pressure plate, but the Ram tech assured me that the clutch kit would be a B&B type pressure plate.

RAM makes good clutches, I put one last year in my old truck, it was the muscle car series, and works to this day with no issues, my wife did say the first time she drove it, the pedal was a little harder to push in.

I had a really bad experience with a cheap Zoom replacement garbage in my duster, after taking the trans out about 5 times, for their tech department to have me measure about everything.
Their pressure plate was junk.

RAM makes good clutches, I put one last year in my old truck, it was the muscle car series, and works to this day with no issues, my wife did say the first time she drove it, the pedal was a little harder to push in.

I had a really bad experience with a cheap Zoom replacement garbage in my duster, after taking the trans out about 5 times, for their tech department to have me measure about everything.
Their pressure plate was junk.
Zippy Zoom! We quit selling them way back when. Too many issues then.

-
Back