New Crank or new engine? Good re builder in SF bay area?

Slant 6 Engines

1. Naplm00

Naplm00 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:38 PM
    chasing an oil leak on my slant i found the rear main sealing area to be very pitted and ugly. After buttoning the engine back up with a new seal in place and a new pan gasket its still leaking. I'm thinking the crank is shot.

Buy a new crank from somewhere or buy a reman engine ? anyone knowa good shop that can do it in the SF bay area or close?

2. George Jets

George Jets 1967 Dart 2 Door FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    11:38 PM
    Rockauto.com has a reman your existing crankshaft through Crankshaft Supply in Minnesota.

You buy the ship out ship back service at Rockauto for your year car. Then they send you the shipping info and how to.

It's like $250 for some V8s, saw one on there that was 189.00

Includes new rod and main bearings too. Might want to check shipping prices.

Maybe your local parts stores have the same service ??

3. Naplm00

Naplm00 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    hmm good info that pretty cheap actually !

unfortunately since my wear is on the rear main seal area...I think the crank is trash

4. George Jets

George Jets 1967 Dart 2 Door FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Not sure, these Crankshaft rebuilders have the capability to weld up a crank and turn it to size again in specific areas.

It is easy for them to turn them down on the rods and mains for clean up, then use over size bearings. That rear main seal area I bet they can repair that included in the same process/price as part of their service.

They have to deal with all kinds of crankshaft issues, cars, trucks, semi tractor diesel engines. They are not going to toss out an expensive crankshaft just because the seal area is bad.

5. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

Local Time:
    I dont think they classify a slant six crank as an 'expensive' one....probably reject the core as wasted. Gotta be a slant carnk somewhere locally.

6. geminimotors

geminimotors Active Member

Local Time:
    Might be worth joining & posting on the slant six forum- a wealth of knowledge and members here in the bay area. Slant Six Forum
    If you do your own research and parts selection, I can recommend Sefe at Center Machine in Oakland for the machining and bottom end assembly.

7. nitro_rat

nitro_rat FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    hit ebay and post a wanted ad here. i have been picking up complete slants for $100 - $200 recently.

8. 1963dartgt

1963dartgt FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    You can get a slant crank from mabbco. They do most of the remans anyways. Their crank kit runs $250 plus shipping(my last quote was $80) They come with appropriate rods and main bearings from clevite. Just a suggestion.
    National Crankshaft Kit Program - NO CORE REQUIRED

• Like Like x 1
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.