New Dart Test Drive...

-

jaimus

Old School ASE Gold
Reaction score
Went with my best bud to the stealership to test out a new Dart Limited,...He sold 70 El Camino, so he's out lookin,...Drove a 1.4 Turbo 6 speed in red (of course),...niether one of us was awestruck with the 160 horses, Its adequete and fun nontheless,...(the El Camino had twice as much),...A little tight,(at 50 years young and 6 ft, with work boots, It was almost a chore to get in and out of),...

NOTE TO FIAT/CHRYSLER, Way way way too much useless stupid gadgetry,....

Not as many smiles per mile as the El Camino,...decided that it wasn't worth the sticker, 25 large plus change,...told him to look for a used Challenger or Mustang...more ponies, more room,...

the dart is a entry level car for the young buyer who wants Gadgets and somthing with a turbo the dart is not made to compete with maraos or rustangs

the dart is a entry level car for the young buyer who wants Gadgets and somthing with a turbo the dart is not made to compete with maraos or rustangs

You and I know that, but you wouldn't know that talkin to the sales guy,...He's lookin for sumthin that he doesn't have to tweak as much, He ain't lookin to compete with anything, he just wants a toy that he can go on a trip with and not get beat by a ricer while tryin to get onna highway, and not take out a loan for a tank of gas,....and 25 g's for entry level??? I wish I had that kinda scratch when I was that young, (a long long time ago)....but we spotted a nice 74 Dart Sport on the way home, kinda peaked his interest...

most of chryslers sales guys are idiots.

Sooo true, Once had one tell me that I should buy a new automatic truck (cause sticks are no longer available)and convert it to a manual trans myself,....with a straight face,....I just laughed and walked out

$25gs for 160 horses!?! Thats nuts, you can got get a 280 hp turbo Mazdaspeed3 for $24k. Id much rather have a nice used Charger for that kind of $.

Sooo true, Once had one tell me that I should buy a new automatic truck (cause sticks are no longer available)and convert it to a manual trans myself,....with a straight face,....I just laughed and walked out

lmao... thats crazy..

$25gs for 160 horses!?! Thats nuts, you can got get a 280 hp turbo Mazdaspeed3 for $24k. Id much rather have a nice used Charger for that kind of $.

That was what we thought after our little jaunt in the Dart,....keeping in mind that a new model is generally overpriced anyway,...Goin to look at an 10 STS, an 06 GTO, an 02 Mustang and an 09 Charger later this week,...He wants a stick so the Charger's gonna be a hard sell...

those things have hit our lots out here. i stopped over, got out and looked at a maroon colored Dart, got back in the duster and left while 2 salesmen were in mid-stride on their way over to me, they just stared at me like their dogs just died, way funny lmao. i didnt see anything special about it, just another econo box

They only thing they share is a name plate. I'm not even close to being interested in being within 500 miles of one.

They only thing they share is a name plate. I'm not even close to being interested in being within 500 miles of one.
this is what i have been saying all along. better hope a certain few members do not see this, the chest pounding will no doubt start up again....

can u explain please? :sign3:

Good question,...I compared specs on both, very similar,...my buddies wife has a Focus, loves It,...I have a Caliber Base,...love It as well...

Fact,...The Dart is supposed to replace the Caliber,...
Opinion,...25 large is way too much for an affordable small car when there are cheaper faster alternatives from foriegn car manufactures...

Also, Not everyone who needs a cheap affordable car is young and enthralled with Turbo's and gadgetry,...some of us old farts like a car to be a car, not a robot,...I recently read that Ford has lost some sales due to the fact that some buyers are just plain overwhelmed by today's electronic wizardry,(meaning they just don't use It or avoid it if possible),...The factory may be courting the younger crowd, but If I don't like my "entry level" car, what makes them think I'll by a "300" when I'm older and more established?

I only ask this cause I get the feeling your somewhat close to Mother Mopar via dealership or through the office.

this is what i have been saying all along. better hope a certain few members do not see this, the chest pounding will no doubt start up again....

i had to look, but i wasnt the least bit interested once i saw it up close. i left before the salesdudes could even throw their pitch at me

A little more coin and you can get the even hotter Focus turbo...that doesn't have the torque steer and notchy shifter the MazdaSpeed3 deals you

That exact same car is marked at 20,000 here with all the bells and whistles.No haggle pricing.

I always think that some of the gadgetry in new cars is ridiculous, and I am the young crowd they are trying to get. I always look at stuff from the mid to late 2000's range and feel like there is way too much technology in the car. I'll stick with the cars without all that garbage, I just want a car. I like computers and I like cars but not put together.

i always think that some of the gadgetry in new cars is ridiculous, and i am the young crowd they are trying to get. I always look at stuff from the mid to late 2000's range and feel like there is way too much technology in the car. I'll stick with the cars without all that garbage, i just want a car. I like computers and i like cars but not put together.

x2.

-
Back