New Distributor..

-

kc0r8y

Reaction score
Swapping over my SB 408 from a MP electronic distributor to MSD setup. My current distributor is mechanical only, when I order my new one should I get the vacuum advance setup or stay mechanical only? There is about $150 price difference.

Thanks in advance.

i have the 8388 in our dart.. works well. got rid of the ballast and fender mounted control box. comes with the stuff to remove the vac advance.. once i get my timing where i want it i'll hook up the vac advance on it.. just haven't had time to play with it yet.

The only problem with the 8388 dist is the vacuum canister will add 20 degrees timing at the crank if you have around 15 " of vacuum.The canister is not adjustable.I had to make a small plate to limit the travel of the vacuum canister arm

i have the 8388 in our dart.. works well. got rid of the ballast and fender mounted control box. comes with the stuff to remove the vac advance.. once i get my timing where i want it i'll hook up the vac advance on it.. just haven't had time to play with it yet.
Do you have the vacuum advance plugged for now?

Friend of mine had a Chevelle with MSD distributor. He drove the car out of town to a Hod Rod show. Something internally broke in the distributor and he had to order the part sent to Advance Auto. He had to have the car towed to his hotel room, wait two days on the part, and missed a day of work.
If he had the stock type distributor he could have bought the part the same day and fix his distributor without towing, extra cost and missing work.
I've been kicking the idea around going MSD or aftermarket distributor but his story scares me. lol
I guess having a extra pick up or whatever part might fail in the distributor on board would be a great idea.

Friend of mine had a Chevelle with MSD distributor. He drove the car out of town to a Hod Rod show. Something internally broke in the distributor and he had to order the part sent to Advance Auto. He had to have the car towed to his hotel room, wait two days on the part, and missed a day of work.
If he had the stock type distributor he could have bought the part the same day and fix his distributor without towing, extra cost and missing work.
I've been kicking the idea around going MSD or aftermarket distributor but his story scares me. lol
I guess having a extra pick up or whatever part might fail in the distributor on board would be a great idea.

thats why i have an extra cap,rotor and pickup for the msd dist in the trunk at all times.. when traveling in the car i usually have quite a few parts in the trunk in case along with tools.

thats why i have an extra cap,rotor and pickup for the msd dist in the trunk at all times.. when traveling in the car i usually have quite a few parts in the trunk in case along with tools.

Yep... I'm one of those guys that has a whole tool box in the trunk along with other junk that might break.:D

I have heard so many bad stories about MSD, that I am half afraid to get one. I have also heard a lot of good tings.

I want to start bypassing the factory ignition stuff all together. Going to get a MSD 6AL, Coil and Dizzy.

If you get that ready to run dist there is no need for any type of ignition box. Just the coil and dist.

-
Back