new dodge 1/2 ton diesel

-
There ain't no diesel truck getting 44 mpg !!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a turbo diesel vw but NOT in a megacab dodge-- IMPOSSIBLE--24 is a stretch

Hell I get 30 mpg at a stop sign in my 2013 6.7 LOL

I don't see how they get 27 MPG.

I drove my girlfriend's uncle's 2009 2500 Megacab truck with the cummins in it on a road trip and I got 43 mpg. I didn't believe what the indicater was reading so I checked it, I actually got 44 MPG! And the the truck is bone stock.
I find this very hard to believe since I own a 2010 Ram megacab with a cummins and on its best day gets maybe 17 mpg. 2009 Rams had Bluetec system ( dpf,egr and cats) on them and even if all that was deleted the best it would get is low to mid 20's. These truks weigh almost 8000 lbs. Vw rabbits barely get this type of mpg. :protest:

My 2010 Power Wagon gets 10 mpg all day long. Im leavin this world with as much fuel in my wake as humanly possible. :la:

My '04.5 CTD, 37k miles, automatic, 4door, 4x4, long bed SUCKS for fuel mileage. Best unloaded, calculated (NOT overhead computer calculated) is 13.5mpg therefore it sits in the driveway and I use my gas sipper car.
I would never by another one. Not with the cost of fuel and crap mileage.

I ordered a brand new 2008, 2500, manual 6 speed transmission, with the option of the (new at the time) 6.7 Cummins. Trading in my 2004 Hemi AWD 1/2 ton. At best the 1/2 ton would only get 15 mpg. When I towed my camper with the 1/2 ton the very best I got was 7 to 9 miles to the gallon. It would pass anything on the road with the camper attached but a gas station.. The 2500 the first time I towed was getting close to 13 to 14 miles p/gallon at 70 mph and I had to keep looking in the rear view mirror to make sure the camper was still there.. Fast forward to today and I'm averaging around 19 to 20 mpg without the camper, and still about the same towing. I know I could chip it and bounce the Hp and the torque on up and remap the turbo and get better yet fuel economy......I'm just waiting for the 100,000 mile warranty to expire. But I can honestly say I will never go back to a pick-up with a gas engine. The diesel is so reliable, minimal maintenance, and you can pull just about anything and all it does is keep giving you more.. The torque of the diesel is the most amazing thing, put it in 1st gear let out on the clutch pedal.... put the fuel pedal down and something's gonna give!

My '01 CTD was getting almost 22 mpg on the way home from MMW at Indy 2 years ago,and that was just the truck itself. Drove all the way home from there on 1 tank of fuel,which was roughly 585 miles. Pulling my enclosed trailer to and from that same show the next year I was getting around 13 mpg.

I can see all the rice,bean,wheat and corn farmers lining up for these 1/2
tun diesels Dodge trucks, they buy by bulk for there farm equipment and we all know what that means :happy1: NO TAXES!!
But if they don't get caught on the hwy... :^o hefty fine for them....
Setting in an a/c truck at idle all day keeping an eye on there water and doing samples this kind of truck would be the way to go... Do they make a four wheeler that has a diesel engine yet :coffee2: ?

I'm with Bryan340 here. The 3.0 Chrysler is a passenger car engine. the new Cummins will be Industrial rated. Big difference, Duramax is rated a passenger car engine, and stress tests by Independent and Gov't entities have the duramax right about 95% of it's total ability to perform it's tasks. Basically It is underbuilt and over stressed. The 6.1 ford was in the 90% range. The Cummins 5.9 was evaluated and was at 37%, and the 6.7 in the 40% range. this rating was as of 2007. Cummins are Overbuilt and designed to perform at a much higher level than it is presently doing.
I believe dodge took the chevy example, and chose the lighter version rather than the other choice. We had a 3.0 jeep with the diesel, and that same basic engine is in a Mercedes. I can't visualize pulling even 6,000 lbs
with this engine, not Including getting in to the mountains. It may have a high torque rating, But it will work it's butt off staying up there. Then throw in a 440 or two in the bed as well? Just for nostalgia sake, I watched two Cummins engines pulling a ship through the locks of the Panama canal in 1973. Now that is an engine!

I live where Nissan builds their Titan trucks and there is a roomer that they have some trucks around here with the Cummings diesel v6. Also my company has several dodge sprinter vans with a v6 diesel that are very nice they are one Ton though but they are tough motors.

the Nissan is getting the 5.0 V8 cummins that dodge was going to put in the 1/2 ton ram, But the bankruptcy stopped it. here is a link to the 5.0 cummins engine. Mopar65

http://social.cummins.com/cummins-build-5-0l-v8-turbo-diesel-nissan-titan-pickup-truck/

If some of you would ever get in a cummin's turned up you will never go back to gas. I can go around any thing pulling my trailer like I'm driving a a 440 4spd car. The power is unbelievable. I often wonder what prevents the hitch from breaking. The only maintenance is oil and filters. I pour diesel. trans fluid , home heating oil, kero or any thin oil in and it burns it. If it don't smoke black take it back. I have 4 and I like them all. I wish I would have kept the silver 93.

Im in love (and searching for a dodge plow truck) with the black pickup snow plow dump! :thumblef:

HUH11???? selling those mushrooms legally in CO right now??? being a lifelong guy that pulls goosenecks, have to wonder wht people want anything less than 3/4 ton!?? i guess the same folks that buy a shortbed to pull the gooseneck and have to get different hitch and then i guess they don't live here in the sticks and haul everything from 1000lb bales to dead cows!??
all i know my 95 auto 4:10 gears bone stock get 18 highway and 13 pulling, 65 cent bio?? i thought all this diesel in mixture of soybean oil!??
my buddy with 12 valve burns old atf filtered thru paint strainer, says it will also run on skunk pee when he can get it!

They don't just cost more upfront, they cost more to maintain as well. Fuel prices, what about cold weather states? Have to run blended fuel and Stanadyne here for 4-6months. 60/40 wont cut it alone. Does the new diesel require DPF as well?

And just when you are loving diesel ownership, it breaks down and you get the repair bill! $2500 for injector pump... $300 for an injector... ughh. I was glad to sell mine. It would pull anything, haul a mountain up a mountain, and get 20 if I kept it under 2200rpm. I just couldn't justify the added expenses for how rarely I needed that power.

I took this picture tonight. 10.8 mpg just sucks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 193
the average driver in the US has no clue,,they see the price of diesel and say why pay more per gallon,,,ite the longevity of the diesel motor as well as the torque,, i have a 2002 cummins dodge 4x4,,aaah its ok nothing special,,,it has its design flaws,,,fuel sustem is crap,,,cummins and doge couldnt get there head out of there butts,,,but it gets better mileage then a gas truck of the same era,,,but has less power then a current 5.7 hemi truck,,,the cummins will out last the rest of the truck for sure,,if i were buying today ide get a 5.7 with mds,,,,,,i wont live long enough to justifiy the longevity arguement of a diesel with the mileage i put on it 7000 average a year,,,

the reason they sell more diesels over seas then the US, there is no diesel ( SULFUR ) smell on there cars,,,thanks to that we now have ultra low sulfur diesel in the US,,,

1/2 Ton Dodge Diesels aren't a new concept, It's been done before. Both times, it wasn't a popular enough option here in the US and was dropped after a couple years in both cases.

Let me introduce you to :

The 1977-1979 "6DR5 Diesel" option for D/W 100/150 - 300/350 trucks

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Dodge-D200_diesel_01b.jpg

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Dodge-D200-_diesel_07b.jpg

and The 1983 - 1985 "4D55T" and "4D56T-IC" Diesel option for D50 trucks

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vQRfjtuJrB4/0.jpg

http://perezwholesaledistributor.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/4D564.jpg

Only about 1% of the D50's were ordered with a Diesel (required a Sport or Royal optioned truck to get the Turbo Diesel option)

1/2 Ton Dodge Diesels aren't a new concept, It's been done before. Both times, it wasn't a popular enough option here in the US and was dropped after a couple years in both cases.

Let me introduce you to :

The 1977-1979 "6DR5 Diesel" option for D/W 100/150 - 300/350 trucks

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Dodge-D200_diesel_01b.jpg

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Dodge-D200-_diesel_07b.jpg

and The 1983 - 1985 "4D55T" and "4D56T-IC" Diesel option for D50 trucks

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vQRfjtuJrB4/0.jpg

http://perezwholesaledistributor.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/4D564.jpg

Only about 1% of the D50's were ordered with a Diesel (required a Sport or Royal optioned truck to get the Turbo Diesel option)

Would love to own one of the factory 150/350 diesel pick-ups!!!! Didn't realize they made them. A turbo would have helped it out a bunch.

Wonder if any members here have one???? I'll have to look over at the pickup form.

-
Back