New Dodge Dart Owners, would you reccomend it?

-

DroVal

Reaction score
I know there are few threads here on the new Dodge Dart, but nothing turned up in my search. I am shopping around for a new car for my aunt and I was curious what yall think of the new Dart. Her price range is right around the $17k mark and the Dart fits it nicely. This is intended to be the last car she purchases, so what ever we decide to go with needs to be something that will her last quite awhile.

If not the Dart, is there any new cars on the market in that price range that yall would recommend? Thanks in advance!

DroVal

I got a 2013 jeep patriot 4x4 5-speed for under 19k. You could get a 2wd in your price range. For the price I think it's the best thing out there and I get 26-27 mpg.

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out those reviews. Unfortunately I don't think she would go for the Jeep. She's pretty set on having a Sedan of some kind.

Put 17k into a '70 Dart Demon.... She'll love you forever. :)

- CK

Well.. I work in the service dept of a Dodge dealership. I rarely say this, but I woud not recommend getting the first year of any new model. The Dart falls into this catagory big time. There have been 4 rapid responses already on these which is a nice way of saying recalls. Anything from clutch cylinders to reprogramming modules. IF you live where it is get super cold I wouldnt get one either. They dont start. Chrysler is still trying to figure that one out. We had ten that would not start when it hit below 15 degrees. The batteries were fine.
As far as the car itself ? Have you driven them ? To me they seem very "jerky" and not smooth. I would anticipate the new model year will still be plagued with many more "fixes" before they actually get them tuned the way they should be.
My opinon.... stay away from them for now.... thats again... my opinion.

Alterantive..... go with the Avenger. Ma Chrysler seem to have this one figured out now and has been a pretty decent car all the way around. The 4 cyl in my 2008 Avenger cracks 30 mpg all the time. Has full air bags all the way around and is a little larger then the Dart. The new avengers are even better then my '08. Again.... my opinion.

-RPM

Well.. I work in the service dept of a Dodge dealership. I rarely say this, but I woud not recommend getting the first year of any new model. The Dart falls into this catagory big time. There have been 4 rapid responses already on these which is a nice way of saying recalls. Anything from clutch cylinders to reprogramming modules. IF you live where it is get super cold I wouldnt get one either. They dont start. Chrysler is still trying to figure that one out. We had ten that would not start when it hit below 15 degrees. The batteries were fine.
As far as the car itself ? Have you driven them ? To me they seem very "jerky" and not smooth. I would anticipate the new model year will still be plagued with many more "fixes" before they actually get them tuned the way they should be.

Alterantive..... go with the Avenger. Ma Chrysler seem to have this one figured out now and has been a pretty decent car all the way around. The 4 cyl in my 2008 Avenger cracks 30 mpg all the time. Has full air bags all the way around and is a little larger then the Dart. The new avengers are even better then my '08. Again.... my opinion.

-RPM

Thank you RPM for the info. I hit the link that Frankie provided and read through a lot of the reviews. While a lot of them were positive, the negative ones scared me a bit. Most mentioned the no start issue and a few other issues.

I will definitely check into the Avenger. We are going window shopping this weekend. Thanks again!

Droval

-RPM

Treva and I test drove the Dart and like you said they do not have a good ride , yet a bit stouter/faster then the 4 cyl in the Avenger, the Dart douse not have the room the Avenger has and we like the way the Avenger back seat (complete) folds down so I can make a bed and sleep like in a wagon.
We are enjoying our 2013 4 cyl Avenger and saved allot over the Dart.
The Dart cost $2.500 more with less room and choppy sporty ride :happy1:

Attachments

• FRIDAY Feb 21.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 271
My wife went back to a Ford Focus after several years behind Mopar. I pleaded with her not to but it was her money and she was driving it, not me. Four months of ownership and 7 trips to the dealership, she had enough. Traded it in on a new dart. No issues at all so far. Rides better has better power, same size motor, trans shifts nice. Interior nicer ect. Overall it has been a good car. This model was built to compete with the other makes in this economy car platform. I don't know why alot of folks bash Ma Mopar on their differnt models. All manufactures have issues not just Chrysler. Was told about Ford Diesels Trucks. I don't know what years ect. but having to remove the cab to replace injectors? Yea I would one of those, spend 40 to 60 k and have to deal with that if it occurs. The dart is an economy car not a 300. If you do your research, and shop around, you have the choice to spend your money on what you want and what makes your wife happy. Myself, I like the dart, and haven't had any issues with it in the 5 months we have had it, and it's knocking down 30 to 35 mpg, and a highest was 37.5 localy. All highway it may hit 40 who knows. I was a dealer tech for a few years and had my own shop for many more. I will tell you I've seen it many times, people that don't take care of their cars/trucks and run them hard and beat the crap out of them are the ones that always complain about never buying another one because they are junk. Well they later on buy another brand and it's back to the same complaints. So is it the vehicles fault, or the one behind the steering wheel. I'm seeing more darts around my area, and it does get looks, but that may be because it's citrus peel color. Good Luck.

i rented one on a business trip. SXT. It was a decent driving little car.

Thank you everybody for the comments. I haven't had a chance to drive one yet or any other newer vehicle, but like I said we will be window shopping this weekend.

She currently drives a '94 Camaro Z28 with the big V8, so it will be interesting to see what she decides on in the end. I think tho, that because this will be her last car, that I will try to steer her towards something that is a little more tried and true than the new Dart. I like the way it looks and it seems like it could be an interesting car, but with her age getting up there and everything I would like to see her get into something with as few issues as possible (I know there are no guarantees with any vehicle new or old).

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. And have a good one!

DroVal

Treva and I test drove the Dart and like you said they do not have a good ride , yet a bit stouter/faster then the 4 cyl in the Avenger, the Dart douse not have the room the Avenger has and we like the way the Avenger back seat (complete) folds down so I can make a bed and sleep like in a wagon.
We are enjoying our 2013 4 cyl Avenger and saved allot over the Dart.
The Dart cost $2.500 more with less room and choppy sporty ride :happy1:

It's been awhile since I have seen an Avenger, I like the looks of this one so much more than older models.

It's been awhile since I have seen an Avenger, I like the looks of this one so much more than older models.
Thank you I do to DroVal, at 55 I finely I buy my first new car :D

Attachments

• Avenger 1 005.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 212
Just wanted to update and say again Thank You to everyone that tried to help me with this.

My aunt ended up going with 2013 Mazda 3. We looked at several cars including the Avenger, Charger, Dart (just to see it), Kia's, Nissan's, and Toyota's. The Earnhardt Toyota dealer was the worst as far as dealerships go. Pushy sales people that had me near to exploding by the time we were done (2 more seconds without giving us back the keys to her Camaro and I would have blown).

The Mazda turned out to be the one that she fell in love with and I have to say that I am happy for her about her choice, it is a nice car. The Mazda dealership was also the best one to work with. Everyone was polite, respectful, never pushy, and just great to work with all around.

She ended up being able to get into the new car without having to trade in the '94 Camaro and to my surprise (and without any prodding from me, I tried to get her put it towards the new car or sell it herself, but she insisted) she wants to give it to me. So I now have myself a '94 Z28. Not that I'll ever abandon my love for Mopars, but now I have toy to play with.

Anyway, again, Thank You and have a good one all!

-
Back