New Dodge Demon: You're NOT going to like this

-

Shishaldin

Reaction score
From Autoblog.com via Autoweek
Wrong-Wheel-Drive! Dodge Demon to use Chery platform

"The Dodge Demon has been hinted and anti-hinted for production, and it seems that the sports car will indeed make it into showrooms. Unfortunately, according to AutoWeek, the Demon will wind up on a front wheel drive chassis from Chery. The 1993 Mercury Capri Demon's switch to FF has been partially driven by emissions regulations, says Chrysler's Tom LaSorda, but we think it's more likely due to build cost."
Chery = Chinese! :cussing:
:cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing:

What a bunch of bitchasses (my friends came up with that one). That car will certainly NOT be getting any support or praise from me, that's for sure. Japanese-based cars are bad enough, but at least they are built well; who the HELL wants to drive a shitty Chinese car? Uggh, and under the same name as the company that's building the super-cool Challenger and Ram? This is a bad choice for Chrysler, and a bad day for Mopar enthusiasts.

They are going to disgrace the Mopar family with a dinky jap made piece of crap, that bears no recognition of the former Demon style at all ??? What is this world coming to !!:cussing: If they can at least make the charger and new challenger resemble their former ancestors why can't they do the same with the Demon ? It's a lost cause for sure !!

That's pretty sad, think they could give it(that thing) a different name!!!! Come to think of it back in the late 80's early 90's they used the Duster name on a P.O..S, if I'm not mistaken there was a Plymouth Sundance and Duster!! Couldn't figure that one out either!!! You'd think with the rave reveiws on the new Challenger they would know to leave a classic model name alone unless making it a modern reflection of a great classic......which this is definatly NOT!!

Dam do I agree with that!

I don't know whats worse, it being front wheel drive or the fact that it will be made in china!

...Or the fact that it's going to be front wheel drive because it's going to be made in China!

Yeah,,,pretty sad story.Either do it right or let it die.But then again,,i cant see buying a 4 door Charger.That name should have never been used on a 4 door.

I have no problems buying a 4dr Charger. I like those cars.

But the Demon should be built in North America. I suppose it COULD be FWD, considering the SRT Caliber is a rocket. Why not just use that chassis and make it a 2 seater? Save in development costs.

But yeah....RWD would be MUCH better.

Heh...

If
this is true.

Then, my dad and I will likely not buy another new Chrysler vehicle in a long time.

Don't know what all the negativity is about. I have more of an issue that Mopar is dropping the Magnum. I drive a '06 R/T and love it, but have to get over the fact that my tastes and the way I think has always been a little right of center. I'm guessing most FABO's are a little "unique" and that's why we all play well together...most of the time. Ma Mopar has to look at what sells in the current car market, and I guess they look at the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn..what-ever, HondaS2000, BMW Z4, and figure there is a market there for a small 2 seat sports car. Havn't seen a whole lot of posts here that would lead me to believe anyone here would be a part of that market, but if it keeps Mopar healthy and allows them to sell some of the niche market cars we like, so be it.

Photo of the new "A-Body" in "Chinese trim".

auto-china-2006-chery.jpg

Chinese Chery

Don't worry, it will not happen, the Demon name was forever put to rest in the early 70's, at the time it was a controversial name. Today, the name will NEVER make it to the showroom, in the era of politically correct, regegios activists, the name will not be used again, I would bet everything I own on that.

Why o why did they change it to fw drive? So much for a kick butt, rearwheel drive roadster. Dont know if it will even sell as well as the solstice now.

That thing looks like the aftermath of a gang rape between a Z4 Bimmer...a Honda S2000....and an Eclipse.... with a touch of Pontiac Aztek thrown in for good measure.
1159.gif

Man, anything with the word CHINESE is being associated with the word PROBLEM lately. And Ma Mopar will have probelms trying to find homes for those wretched little turds. They didn't learn with the German suits, now it's getting worst. At least the Goose-steppers brought us rear wheel drive.....granted with too many door at times...or even dumber, big engines in PICK UP trucks. Now this....
011.gif

And as for the name Demon, forget it. That was indeed buried in the `70's. In this day & age of PC, they'll never revert to Demon. They're just using Demon for the buzz effect. See? It's working already!
839.gif

Since Chryslers resale, I think you will see many Mopar products being bastardized. With the company being run by accountants and lawyers their, only loyality is to the bottom line. It could have been called a "Duster". I happen to own one of those. The God's are still smiling on me. howard

Looks like a little girls car.

Using the demon name for that thing is like naming a slingshot a weapon of mass destruction.

was there a demon in those pictures? OH it must have been hidden behind the goldish 350Z ... :puke:

It won't look like that Chery, just be built by them.
You can be pretty sure that it will have Chrysler styling.

As for the name Demon, I think it no longer has the negative connotations it did back in the '70's.

You know Chrysler messed up if even the import guys hate what they're doing to the Demon: (although these are 240SX owners, very staunch supporters of RWD. :) )
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=172645
beware of f-bombs.

They better add some more bite to it if they want to use the name Demon.

As for cars built in China. There's going to be a learning curve. It will be interesting to see how quickly they get up to speed. But it's the same thing Honda/Toyota went through in the 70's (look how much U.S. market share they've eaten into). Another example is Hyundai. No one thought those guys would last either, they have a 5% market share and brand perception has improved significantly within the last 10 years. I'm sure there are more than a few happy import owners out of the 5000+ members on this forum.

Just for the record, I've never been a fan of front wheel drive in performance vehicles. So I'll pass on this version of the Demon.

That's what I thought too player1up, looks like a 350Z :wack:

-
Back