New Dynacorn Complete Repro Steel 'Cuda Bodies....

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
Just read an article in the April 2012 issue of Mopar Collectors Guide about these new Dynacorn Steel 70-71 Cuda bodies, pretty neat, I have always wanted a 1971 Cuda, maybe I can build my own version someday!

But....(I know there are many different arguments about this subject)....in the article they say at the end "In short, if you've got a VIN tag and a title, no matter how bad your original car is, you can now start from scratch and build an entirely new car around an original dash core!" :banghead:

Why wouldn't you just get an entirely new VIN from the state and go from there? I would love to have one of these bodies and build my own clone, I could care less if it has a new or "kit car" VIN. Now here is a major MOPAR magazine telling you it is OK to do this??? :protest:

I can see all the VIN tags and titles going up on eBay right now.........:wack:

My 2 cents...thanks for the vent

My bike was a "kit" bike. It came with a Certificate of Origin, I think that is what it was called, for the frame, trans & motor. Went to DMV with just the papers and they gave me a VIN. Wonder if you could do something of that nature with there body? Only trouble might be is the vehicle would be whatever year it was that you did this in, so your 1970 Cuda would be titled as a "new" car and have to pass current sniff tests, I would imagine because I know my bike had to. In AZ, when I bought the bike I had a five year period where I did not need emissions......

Didn't think of that. But would "kit" cars be exempt from this? What about all the fiberglass 32 Ford kits and Cobra's in CA running around?

The kit/specialty cars are a bear in Cali.If you don't have a vin and title,you go to DMV.First operating day of the new year,the state will issue "specialty car"permits.1000 total.If you are prepped and ready,smog gets a lot easier.A friend bought a Cobra kit car with a 408 Windsor in it.The smog ref passed as a re 61 build.

I know the registration on my bike said it was an 06. I had asked the smog guys when I was there once about it and they said they go off of what the paperwork says. Every state is going to be a bit different I would guess. When we moved here we did not have to go to DMV to get Washington titles like I did when I moved into AZ. Cetain counties in WA. don't have any emissions, so up here it would not be a problem. In regards to a kit Cobra I think Haggerty will not insure them, don't know if all of the collectors insurace is the same. Had a buddy in AZ that "built" a 70ish Bronco out of catalogs, frame and all. He went out and found a Bronco that was beyond hope, paid like $500 for it and used that as a VIN. Sure would be nice if when you purchased one of those bodies you could get a Certifcate of Origin with it so that you did not need a VIN off of another vehicle.

Eliminate politics,make all 50 states univeral.Be done with it.We are working offhand rules in 66 California.They stack on a quickly based in 1966 rule.I used to be a smog tech,this needs to be abolished,any made one standard.

I remember a story on a Superbird build..........the car was in miserable condition.......after blasting there was so little of real substance left that it was nearly a new steel car when they finished replacing everything.

I understand the hoopla about the tags and such, but this is NOT that much different than a totally new steel build around what's left of your existing car, is it? If everything else is scrapped except the parts that bear the numbers, and numbers bearing parts are welded into place properly, have you not actually "built the car around" an existing car ?

I AGREE wholeheartedly about the selling of vins and tags and such.....it stinks in my opinion, and is extremely distasteful for the most part. But if you HAVE the donor car in your name, my question would then be, WHY NOT ? :coffee2:

Abosolutely,Tom.(But,this belongs inpolitics and news then,lol!)

Found this on their web sight.

Q: What about the VIN?

A: A Vehicle or Vessel Identification Number (VIN) is issued by a manufacturer or State Licensing authority. There are three ways for a vehicle to obtain a number.

1. An existing VIN on a vehicle that is titled in your name can be transferred to a repair part (as instructed by your State authority).

2. A number may be issued by your State to ID a custom built vehicle when it passes a safety and number verification inspection.

3. A licensed manufacturer issued a VIN when the vehicle (or vessel) is made and ready for delivery. This can only be issued when a "turn key" (completed) car, truck, boat or aircraft has been manufactured.

JFI on their sight there is a tab for "State Vehicle Info" once pressed it then shows the state seal for all 50 states. When you click on your state, it goes to the DMV page for registering your vehicle with specifics to restored,rebuilt, customs ect.

If I remember right, when the Camaro first came out their was talk about once the car was finished and ready to be sold the question was is this a real restoration? Camero enthusiasts said no because it wasn't the same body. But yet today you can replace about every piece of body pannel on your car, so what makes it any different. But I thought I remember reading that their was a change in the marker lights from the original bodies, ie from rectangular to oval. This way a buyer would know that this was a Dynacorn body. Then again that section could always be replaced with a good original section. I don't know for sure just my 2 cents.

Update, I went back and read the Hot Rod Magazine build. They chose to but in a custom oval front side marker light, so the body itself still is like the original. Why am I so wrapped up about this camero & why am I worried about running lights, heck it's a chevy who cares. I say if you got the money and want to build a 1970 Challenger go for it.

web sight http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/classic2.html
http://www.dynacornbodies.com/body-shells/challenger.php

TAZZ

I think these bodys will save more cars that were being lost back to the earth. Hell I always see it posted save it dont scrap it but in most cases they would need a whole body to save them. As far as the apply for a VIN I had seen this on other cars ie: my 27 Ford coupe. If you dont have a VIN and title already it will be assigned a VIN from the year you apply and will need to conform to that years standards not the year the body resembles. You will also need the paperwork ie: reciepts for all pieces of the car and you will receive a title that says assemblers title.

Eliminate politics,make all 50 states univeral.Be done with it.We are working offhand rules in 66 California.They stack on a quickly based in 1966 rule.I used to be a smog tech,this needs to be abolished,any made one standard.

HELL NO!!!! You guys still living in kommunist kali keep your sorry situation to yourselves and don't try to pass off this "universal" BS on us freedom loving people living in free states. Ouit here in Alabama we have NO smog checks, NO vehicle inspections (sorry Tejas), and registering a car earlier than 1975 is as easy as presenting the bill of sale to the tag people.

Back in 1978-1979 I had a 1970 Triumph Spitfire. It had a single Stromberg carb and because the butterfly shaft was loose in the carb housing it would not pass smog and I had to drive it for 2 years on a 90 day temp registration. If it had been a 1969 with dual Bing carbs (more power, more smog) it would have been OK.

I keep hearing rumblings about the obomites wanting to come out with this "universal" registration criteria which to me is a way to usurp more states rights and force more federal control over our lives. Screw that.

Hell, for that matter screw the obomites and their power grabbing ways. Stay the h away from my old hotrod and the way I get it street legal.

Flame off.

i have a feeling, with time, the 68-70 B body dodge and plymouths will be next, there is a huge desire for these cars , but most of the metal is already being repopped. i am really suprised the A body world has not seen more reproduction parts. it seems to me the A body production numbers and demand are much higher that the E and B bodies, though i havent really researched it.

I have always wanted an e body vert and this might allow that to be possible without having to sell everything you own to buy a rusted out hulk of garbage.

Always another side to the coin.Depends on if you have an original car or if you just want a cheap facsimile.everybody wants cheap.You have seen what it does to other makes-GM/ford and that's exactly what we will have.

Hmmm, I still have the VIN tag and title to my old 73 Rallye 318 Challenger.

It was junked back in 1990, but apparently the yard never processed the paperwork, because it still shows up as titled in my name on the DMV website.
So does a 70 Coronet 500 that was bought for a quarter panel, and went to the same junk yard.I have the fender tag to that one but not the VIN tag.

I say again, hmmmmm.....

How much does one of those bodies go for?

These aren't made in China, are they?

EDIT- $16K...Uh, I can buy a fair to good real one for that and maybe still afford to put AMD quarters on it.

I'm with ya YY1.... I had bought the remains of a totalled 71 340 Cuda - plumb crazy billboard car - for $200 in the mid 80's because the grill and one 1/4 panel was still in one piece and I needed them for my 71 ragtop at the time.... My body man at the time cut the rest of the car into pieces and dropped it in his scrap metal dumpster. I still have the title and VIN for no other reason than not knowing what to do with it and not wanting someone to cash in on it..... Would it be worth it to buy a body and use it there? Heck no. I could buy a whole car for that price and still wouldn't use the 340 car numbers. It's just not right.

-
Back