New engine build thoughts

-
I dropped my block off at the machine shop on October...still not here.

To be fair I brought my head's in back in Feb. for new guides, 11/32 valves, a five angle redo and a skim cut on the heads.

Three months to get pistons didn't help and my shop owner closed up for some time because if the Kung Flu.
That’s unacceptable. The crank grinder failed so I’m going to pick everything up Monday and driving it 9 hours in the other direction to someone else. Tired of dealing with bull$hit

That’s unacceptable. The crank grinder failed so I’m going to pick everything up Monday and driving it 9 hours in the other direction to someone else. Tired of dealing with bull$hit

My machine shop that I use lost a good worker because of coronavirus. (He doesn’t want to go back after a voluntary layoff) so instead of getting a block machined and assembly balanced it would probably take 2-3 weeks instead of 7-10 days. A retired guy comes in to do crank work so it’s still 5 days max.

This whole Corona virus scam is unacceptable...

I've been patient because I like the shop owner and his work in general. The pistons were delayed and so was my camshaft all because of the "virus". The shop owner and his #1 man are both in that 65 plus age group (me too) and the news reports got him scared. They went so far as to close their doors to walk in customers if you didn't already have items in the shop. They are back to regular business again.

I hope to get my parts next week...my head's are done. Not sure about the block.

A quick question to those that may know. Do you think I’ve surpassed the strength of the rubber motor mounts with this new engine setup? I’ve been running the factory rubber sandwich style mounts. Would rather not switch to solid as to avoid all that extra vibration, but also don’t want to rip one apart.

Have some positive news about me engine too. Crank should be ready by tomorrow. Will have all the parts back in hand by the weekend.

My guess is( based on the Seattle 6.92 number), s
it will run 6.50ish in the same conditions you ran the 92 in.
Just my thoughts, but to me the cam is leaving a good bit on the table. Something like what you have i would probably be 265 ish@ 50. Maybe even a tiny bit bigger than that. Stroke kills duration. And you have plenty of compression + alky, which effectively makes more torque.
Also you still have the same heads, they are without a doubt a limiting factor on a/ any 4 inch motor.
Dont see it getting out of the mid 6’s( still impressive), looking forward to your results. Good luck.

Last edited:
Spent at least 50 hours in the last week getting the car ready to go. Fired it up, and it only made 20 lbs of oil pressure. It also looks like there’s water in the oil. I primed the engine with a hand drill for a good 15 minutes while rolling the engine over. It made more pressure on the drill than running. After all I’ve been through with this engine it crushes me to have this be the outcome.
E3F84A59-F990-4704-8B0D-7CAC507F004D.jpeg

Discovered the problem. The engine builder didn’t put the oil galley plug in front of the distributor. Water was leaking from the intake coolant passages. Pulled a long shift and got it fixed up. Racing today, and it’s a tenth off what I wanted to run, but maybe it’ll loosen up. 7.165 @ 94 is my quickest run thus far, last year it ran 7.35 in similar conditions. Oil pressure stays at 40# the whole time when the oil is hot. It has a high volume pump, so hopefully that pressure is fine.

-
Back