New engine has loss of compression

-
ok do me 2 favors. you may have done it before...

1. when you first start the engine, the oil dont really do it's job until it gets warm. so there will be 2 minutes or so when it's not working. during that time frame, all your mains/rod journals/cam journals (NOT lobes) should be coated with something. this will get it by until the oil warms: white lithium grease. use a THIN amount on all bearings/journals. you can put a thin layer on the oil pump lobes too. dizzy gear. it's important to only put thin layers because globs can plug holes making the oil to take even longer to reach parts, basically defeating the purpose.
the cam lobes get the manufacturer's lube that comes with. but the rest of the stuff gets lubed with the white stuff. some will disagree and just use the red cam lube on everything but i'm an old timer lol.

2. antiseize. it has a purpose other than preventing seizing. it ensures your torque settings are accurate when torquing all bolts that have a spec. again a THIN layer, all threads have to be clean. for instance rod bolts should not even have a spec of dirt , a small amount of antiseize, it will make sure that your ft/lbs on your torque wrench match what the bolt is actually gettting. use it on all main cap / rod cap / head bolt threads.

also if this is a hot little engine i recommend the valvoline racing flavors or brad penn oils. there are a few other good ones also. rotella isnt really one of them it's a budget/fleet oil. it's ok for normal street operations. anything that is going to really stress the bearings, i wouldnt use it.

i just wish i could be there to hear it run, i love hearing new engines :D

Thats what my grandpa does, he uses that lithium grease alot. Does it just stay on all the journals better until the oil heats up a bit? Now what do I put on the cam lobes? because I am using a roller cam.

And last time I used the ARP bolt lube, I thought It was basically the same thing as antiseize? Because I put that stuff on every thread there was.

It should be a pretty hot little engine! Solid roller cam thats replacing the flat tappet is much bigger, and the heads are alot better now. And yea valvoline I heard was good, haven't seen it around here though, brad penn I can get though, so I will probably do that. With a roller cam do I still need zinc in the oil, and I assume there isn't and break in needed like a flat tappet?

I bet! I can't wait to hear it fire up! It never gets old hearing a fresh engine live.

Now I just thought of this now, I took the crank in because the journals looked rough, and he said that they would be ok with a polish, but best if they were turned, so I got the crank turned. But does the crank have to be balanced? Its an externally balanced crank, and it was all good to go with the other pistons last time, but does turning the crank change the balance of it?

Roller cams don't need break in oil or special oils

High dollar race oils are for racing.

Hope you got a cam that complements the build?????????(bigger is NOT always better!)

Balance won't be an issue.

Roller cams don't need break in oil or special oils

High dollar race oils are for racing.

Hope you got a cam that complements the build?????????(bigger is NOT always better!)

Balance won't be an issue.

Perfect, I was always worried about the old flat tappet cam, especially when I broke it in.

And yup! I called into lunati and got a recommendation, I also called comp as well, both gave me a very similar spec cam recommendation. I ended up going with a lunati solid roller. Both asked what my old cam was and thought it was a bit small for the combo anyways. It should be matched up pretty well now, it's not a crazy cam anyways. I'm putting in 3.91 gears this winter as well as a new converter for some more stall speed.

lol, I have looked at that very cam, and am also considering talking to Mike about his lifters.

Nice! yea it seemed like a pretty good cam to me too, should sound nice too. I talked to mike about the lifters, and they seem pretty good, I have also heard people talk about them on here with no complaints.

I am going to be putting the motor together pretty soon, and I am wondering what would be a good way to clean all the little oil holes (little brushes and what not), especially in the crank (was turned so I want to make sure everything is cleaned out). I have heard people say that gun cleaning kits are good? But after I pressure wash everything and clean everything, how do I clean all the little finicky areas?

I used gun cleaning kit. Works really well on those small oiling holes

-
Back