New Exhaust for my Duster?

-

danielb927

Reaction score
I currently have some kind of exhaust, but I'm not really sure what it is. Seems like standard manifolds (not headers), its all welded together back to an H-Pipe and then there is a bolt-on spot on each side. Apparently I could bolt up something from a mustang? I'm not really sure. After that there's some kind of straight through mufflers on each side that don't really seem to do much. I can post up some pictures/videos if anyone is interested.

So, what I'm thinking is, get some Flowmasters (Super 44's?), and use some fittings and/or flexible tubing to run just the couple feet to make some side exhaust right in front of the wheel wells. Anyone ever done a project like this so I could see what it looks like? I'm only thinking of that kind of tubing and fittings so I don't have to weld or pay someone to, since I don't have a welder. Has anyone used the flexible exhaust pipe at all either?

Sounds like you got the cut-outs so you can un-cork your exhaust in front of the mufflers. Usually that's something you do at the track and there is no muffler or anything hooked up to it. Just open 'er up and let 'er roar. Flex-pipe won't last long ( at all!) Your better off picking the right little bends and pieces and clamping it up til you can save some coin to get something better.

Yeah that's what it sounds like to me. Drop the mufflers and let rip was the previous owners plan. Have you thought about going to your local muffler shop and let them run a system from the H-pipe back the way you want it? My muffler shop lets me stand there under the car and show them what I want etc... and I step back and they weld away. If you don't want it welded they can clamp it for you also.

By the way, NOTHING FROM A MUSTANG should ever go on your Mopar!! Even if it's a muffler clamp!! It's a principle thing!

By the way, NOTHING FROM A MUSTANG should ever go on your Mopar!! Even if it's a muffler clamp!! It's a principle thing!

Heh, not my choice, that's the way I got it, but I don't think its anything from a Mustang, I'm really not sure what the guy was talking about.

Just so I have an idea, how much do you think a muffler shop would charge to weld up a system from the bolt-on spot back to side pipes? I'll try to get pics up this afternoon.

Here's what I have on there now:

p1010550k.jpg

p1010549f.jpg

Looking at that... if it was me I would install a new exhaust system altogether the way you want it. I bet that is loud as hell!

Looking at the vid the exhaust system is just dangling in the air.

Get some Ultra Flo welded mufflers, H or X pipe, 2.5 exhaust, and of course headers... that's optional however. LOL

IF, (Big word there if....) IF the current welded pipes are good, not cracked, you can just cut off those things on the end and install some mufflers. From there, it'll be your choice of over the axle pipes to the bumper or 90* bends to exit infront of the rear tires.

Your call.

OH, that there looks like a 340 exhaust manifold. Is that a Edel. Performer intake? W/EGR valve or stock intake?

It is really loud. Not that part of me doesn't like that... :D It does have one hanger on the H pipe, I figure I should add some more. I'm not sure I want to put down the cash for a new exhaust system for now so I was thinking I could do something for a couple hundred bucks that would look and sound pretty good. Ultimately that would be the way to go though, it looks pretty bad all patched together like it is.

Who makes headers for these cars? I was noticing how weird the drivers side exhaust manifold is just to clear the steering and such.

IF, (Big word there if....) IF the current welded pipes are good, not cracked, you can just cut off those things on the end and install some mufflers. From there, it'll be your choice of over the axle pipes to the bumper or 90* bends to exit infront of the rear tires.

Your call.

OH, that there looks like a 340 exhaust manifold. Is that a Edel. Performer intake? W/EGR valve or stock intake?

I figured I could just unbolt where the mufflers and pipes are bolted on after the H-Pipe and finish from there, to save the welding or paying someone to weld. I don't know anything about the intake since I just got the car. Anywhere I can look to find a manufacturer stamp on it and figure out what it is?

It'll say "Edelbrock Performer" right on it or what ever manufacturer it is except stock OE.

Learn to weld yourself. Your first expense is the welder. I grabed mine from Sears and started to weld after reading the booklet and with a few scrap meatl things around, started to learn.

IF it looks like fidos *** when your done, that is OK. Just get the metal hot and make sure theres good penatration of the welding material and the two parts your joing together.

Worst casue....you do it again. LEarn, save money in the long run, maybe.... charge your freinds cheap fee's for more welding material.

Lots-o-places make headers, but the best ones to purchase and use are very expensive while the $99 - $159 dollor units are all the same for the most part and they all stink with 3 out of 4 tubes on the drivers side going under the steering linkage and THEY WILL get dented and flattened out.

Hooker, Dyno Max, Headman, Summit, The list is long.

I would go over the rest of the car really careful since the exhaust is cobbled together like that- who knows what else is done with the same quality- electrical, brakes, brake& fuel lines etc.

For exhaust I would leave the 340 manifolds on it, get a set of 2.5" headpipes from TTI and get the 2.5" dual exhaust kit from summit or jegs- it comes with no name but decent quailty turbo mufflers or you can order just the pipes/hangers/clamps and add the mufflers of your choice.

If this is your first Mopar you don't want any part of installing headers on an A body yet, I can get a set on in about 2 hrs but If you have never done them before it will be a weekend full of cussing and bleeding.

i would leave the manifolds, look into a system from accurate or tti. yeah they are pricey buit fit nice. i really dont like the accurate stuff but it is an option. there arent a lot o foptions to do it cheap if you cant weld. if you can weld you can buy a summit or jegs system and just fab up some head pipes to connect your manifolds to the system since its made for headers. there should be a hnager at each muffler and at the end of each tailpipe. headers are nice when you ar elooking fo revery last HP but they really are a pain in the ***. they will haunt you. to put it nicely that exhaust is hacked, i wouldnt put a dime or an hour of my time into adding to it. if you have no cahs, thats a different story though.

-
Back