New from Iowa

-

ribside

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to this forum and interested in the '66 Cuda. I'd like to get a 'S' model-of course they're pretty rare and may settle for any 273 model. A couple questions for you though. How can I tell a true 'S' from a regular 273? The VIN won't tell me that, and if the data plate is missing how can I be sure? I know the 'S' had a tach but I haven't seen a pic of it to differentiate it from the vacuum gauge. And of course, the 'S' badges, but did the speedo go to 150mph? How about the motor, is there something obvious that tells me it's a commando rather than standard other than 4 barrel carb?
Many questions...

Brian

Welcome to FABO all the way from Waterloo. Let me see if I can find a answer to your question. If the Barracudas are anything like the Darts, there will be a "p" as the second letter of the vin but I am no Barracuda expert.

BP should be the first 2 letters but I see what you mean, I see no vin designation for the Formula S without a fender tag. There are quite a few owner /experts here with the correct answers. I just sent a personal message to FISHYPETE (from Minnesota). He has a beautiful 66 Fish and is a expert at these. Tmm

Well, the Hamtramck site has all the info! Alas, Formula S info would only be on the data plate or broadcast sheet under option code 367. It would appear that the engine code D on the VIN covers both standard and Commando variations of the 273.
Brian

Welcome to FABO Brian!! I have a strong affinity to the 66 Barracuda myself!

Part of the fun is searching for the one you want! The last one I bought I found using http://www.dailylister.com/, there are also other nationwide Craigslist sites.

I was living in Virginia and found it in Wisconsin. Use the normal CL precautions. I hired a car inspection company to go out and inspect it before spending the time and money to go get it. $250 well spent in my opinion!

Let us know when you find your "new" 66!!

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'd been on the B forum for a few years because my dream is to get a '67 GTX but they're out of my price range at the 'mo. So, I thought I'd have a go at my second choice of '66 cuda. eBay and Auto Tempest are my search engines of choice. I'd really like a good, legit Formula S but realize I'd have just as much fun with a regular 273. I'm all about originality. Is there a database on what VIN's were Formula S or was that not recorded.
Brian

-
Back