New fuel line - benefits of a larger line?

-

Hilderbrand1983

Reaction score
I'm way off from installing a new fuel line into my project 1967 Dodge Dart 270 (225cid slant-6, running a 1bbl Carter BBS carb). However, that day will come eventually and I'd rather plan ahead. The inner measurement of the stock fuel line was 5/16".

I'm happy to replace the fuel line with stock, but would there be any benefit to ordering a line with a measurement of 3/8"? I know I'd have to replace the sending unit (which is an aftermarket; the original one was completely shot and "un-recoverable" when I got the car). I don't intend to upgrade the carb, nor do I intend to alter the engine away from stock. This will be a street car, not a race car.

However, I know the Dodge brand. Every time they knew they needed to spend a dime, they tried to spend a nickel. I'm wondering whether a 3/8" line was optimal, but they put a 5/16" line in because it worked "well enough."

Does my question make sense? Feel free to ask questions if I've not been clear. Thanks!

[Also related: Would I be better off running fuel-injection hose from the sending unit all the way up to the fuel pump, or should I stick with OE / stainless steel?]

I always run metal where I can and as little rubber as possible. I just use it at the connections and use EFI hose. My system is 3/8 but I run a modified 340.

My mostly stock slant ran 1/2" line. It's what I stock in the shop so thus what it got.

Advantages? Flow, volume, capacity.

Needed on a slant? Nope. Will it hurt? Nope.

There is a popular fuel line mod for the slant 6 that reroutes the supply line from pump to carb. Flexible neoprene is the easiest way to do that. Bending steel line isn't easy. Anyway...
If your OEM steel line from tank to pump is rusted away and you need new, 3/8 is probably close to the same cost as 5/16 so...
If there's nothing wrong with the OEM 5/16 tank to pump line, I would have to prove in inadequate for my engines need before I replaced it.

-
Back