new fuel pump or add a regulator??

-

watchdoc

Reaction score
I'm putting my 71 340/727 Dart back to a more cruise and car show friendly setup.

I'm ditching the Holley 3310 (with a bunch of quick change trackside racing goodies) for a spreadbore thermoquad for a more stock look and hopefully better idle and cruise quality.

I currently have the Carter Hi Po mechanical pump that puts out around 8psi to the Holley. I've been told that is too much pressure for the Thermoquad.

So here is my dilemma. Buy a cheap ($20 shipped) Carter M6866 muscle car pump that flows 5.5 to 6.5 psi or get a fuel pressure regulator with a guage for more money.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Despite zero feedback from the forum, I decided to go with the cheap Carter M6866 with stock fuel lines and no regulator or return until I can rebuild my Carter street strip pump and plan a regulator and return system that retains a stock under hood appearance. That way I will have the cheap Carter pump to use as a spare in the future.

Feedback. Get a Carter/airtex electric diaphragm style pump. Quiet, dependable and itll prefill the TQ bowls prior to starting. Mount it out back on the rubber insulators off the frame rail and your done, or even up front low. They pull pretty good too level. I personally dont like dead head regulators.

-
Back