New Garage, lift Question

-

qkcuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We are downsizing and just bought a new house with what is called a 3 car tandem garage. The shop space is only about 10 1/2 feet wide but 30 feet long with over 11 foot ceilings. I would like to add a 4 post hoist (2 post are too wide) in the future. It appears they will fit, although most have the motors and controls mounted on the side, which may be tight. Does anyone know if there is a way to mount the motor on the front instead or if any models come that way?

house plans.jpg

Most of the lift mfg's sell a bracket to rotate the pump and controls around to the end like you want. Even if they don't, you could easily get a piece of 1/8 steel or aluminum bent to move it. The hoses should be long enough to work either way.

I would contact the hoist manufacturer of choice and ask them if any of the mechanics can be relocated. I would assume if it is winch driven, the winch would need to stay where it is. If it is Hydraulic driven the pump, etc might be able to be relocated with the correct longer lines etc. Sending them you garage layout will speed up your process. good luck and thank goodness for 11' ceilings!

Thanks guys, that's great if they can be relocated, then it won't limit me to certain manufacturers. Do they also offer options as to which side the controls go on, left or right? It might simplify wiring.

Backyard buddy. The pump is where you want.
I boxed my ceiling for the hoist, put in collar ties and bolted /screwed and glued everything i modified.
image.jpg
image.jpg
My full size gmc will go right to the top,13 feet 10 inches. Cars will work nice in 11 feet

I assume you will be installing the hoist deep in shop farthest away from door. It gives you an advantage of storing car on hoist and parking another under it. Its difficult with mine,as door opens above hoist.

Here is a bad picture, the builder's construction trailer is currently parked in there. It has a rear garage door with an opener as well, and I think I am going to have them put another section of straight track in to take it up closer to the ceiling. I am thinking of putting the hoist close to the start of the long section, leaving about 10 feet at the back for workshop and storage.

garage pic.jpg

Mine is 10’7” to the widest point.
I imagine if you order it, they could make it a couple inches narrower. At the very least,moving the pads 1” inwards.
For that matter you could cut them off a little. They would be sitting directly on the grade beam.
Mine is free standing and has a wheel kit so i can move it if i choose. Three times in 5 years.

I pulled this from backyard buddy's website. It shows less than 9 feet wide, which seems to be pretty standard.

BB 7000lb-extended-height-lift.png

That "garage" is the same size as the "house"!

Mine is the 9000 lb lift, forgot to mention it earlier.
I use it daily,pretty much 7 days/week. My best investment to date.I run a repair business from home.
So an a-body would fit the 7000 lb hoist perfectly.

We are downsizing and just bought a new house with what is called a 3 car tandem garage. The shop space is only about 10 1/2 feet wide but 30 feet long with over 11 foot ceilings. I would like to add a 4 post hoist (2 post are too wide) in the future. It appears they will fit, although most have the motors and controls mounted on the side, which may be tight. Does anyone know if there is a way to mount the motor on the front instead or if any models come that way?

View attachment 1715161265
Dave, next time you are over, have a look at mine. I welded a plate and a hinge so it swings outward when I use it. When it is not in use, it swings back to the side and out of the way. Andrew

I am getting ready to purchase the Aresco 8000 lb for myself, it is heavier duty & dimensionally it is actually a little smaller in over width & length which is what I need for my little 2-1/2 car garage. I have moved my over head door tracks up to the ceiling to get prepared for when I buy one.

20150624_153634_resized (00000003).jpg

20150624_153610_resized (00000003).jpg

Thanks for everyone's comments, they have been really helpful. Stopped by the house today and they had cleaned up the garage to get it ready to pour the floor. Here are some better pictures. 6PKRTSE that's a lot of laughing gas on the shelf.

new garage 1.jpg

new garage 2.jpg

Once you have decided and installed hoist, hang a mirror on ceiling, to help with lining up on the hoist.
Its going to be tight regardless,imho you might be better off with hoist closer to rear door and workshop in middle.
If anything,quicker bathroom access...

-
Back