New Gas Tank, 4 vent tubes

-

JaysNMDustr

Reaction score
Got a new fuel tank that came with four side vent tubes. 1970 Duster slant six original tank does not have these and the charcoal filter system isn't on my model.
What is the best way to cap/ plug these vent tubes. The filler neck has a vent tube on it that is intact.
Any ideas?

Here's what I'd do. Remove the sender and look inside. If you can see a small "tank" built into the inside top of the tank, that's a fill limiter, and I believe the vents may connect with that. It's a fill limiter device. You probably want to reach in there and drill or punch a couple of holes in the thing to make it ineffective.

See if you can identify the shortest vent, IE one which does not extend into the tank. If you have any plans to use a return (vapor return, etc) I would "save" it and cap it with a short hose / bolt/ clamps

The other three I'd make sure they are clean, sand them, squeeze them flat and solder them shut

Is this a brand new tank ? I would get the correct tank for your car to avoid problems.

My son has one with out the vents and he needs one with them....

Where did you get yours from? How much was it?

Classic Industries- $159 found it in the mopar catalog. Stated it was the correct one for my car. BUt I think its for a CA car with the extra vents.
I don't se how capping my extras would do any harm since the original only has the filler neck vent.
Though I needed to replace the whole tank because of the sediment I was getting in my fuel filter. But when I pulled off the old tank the inside looks great just had sediment floating around in the fuel.

I believe 70 was a "split" year. In CA 70 cars had the vent system. My old 70 440-6 RR was from out of state. I got stopped in one of the CA Nazi roadside checks once and actually had to show the idiots right in the service manual!! in the trunk!! that only CA cars had it. You could tell by looking the car had not been modified

-
Back