New Gas tank. what do i need to do?

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
I just bought a new OEM replacement Fuel tank for my 67 dart. is there any prep work that i need to do to the gas tank? like sealing it or anything like that?

when it came out of the box it was oily. my guess is that since its fresh metal, they oiled it so that it wouldn't rust. is this correct? it feels sort of like wd-40.

any and all comments/tips are helpful guys. thanks.

I'd wipe the outside down w/ lacquer thinner and paint it silver.

There's stuff out there to coat the inside, I did it 20 years ago with the stuff from Eastwood. But maybe that's overkill.

I cleaned the greasy stuff off with Acetone. I wiped that tank a bunch until the white cut up t=shirts was clean after wiping. That way you know you got stuff off. I clear coated the tank with three good coats. Still looks good so far... if you want a silver looking tank.

alright. thanks guys. what kind of paint for the outside of the tank?
i think i want to keep a silver look. or possibly flat black.

does anyone have pics of their tanks? thanks

Just did mine as well. I used Eastwood Zinc Tank coat and then a couple coats of clearcoat.

How about this?

This is FASTBACK340's gas tank.... I think it's hammer tone silver or something like that.

SANY0002-vi.jpg

Cuda001-vi.jpg

My tank has been in for over a year and it looks like it did the day I installed it with no coatings at all.

Here is my tank that was also clear coated almost 2 years ago.

Fuel Pump Mounting 006 (Small).jpg

How about this?

This is FASTBACK340's gas tank.... I think it's hammer tone silver or something like that.

where did he get that paint? is it just a rattle can spray on? or did he shoot it on with a gun? maybe by some chance you'd know. thanks

and brian, was your talk oily when you got it? did you wash it off at all. or just installed directly out of the box? thanks

where did he get that paint? is it just a rattle can spray on? or did he shoot it on with a gun? maybe by some chance you'd know. thanks

I don't know all the details but remembered seeing the tank. Send him a private message.

The hammertone silver can be had in a rattle can at Lowes,Ace or Home Despot, I used the Rustolium after a good prime coat.

-
Back